The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am back in the hobby and setting up my second tank. After experiencing some issues with a gravel, sand and soil combination, I have decided to go the Fluval Stratum direction. However, I wanted this tank to have a whitish/tan color. Can it be successfully be capped with a pH inert Caribsea sand?

Thanks so much!

Nanci

now I get to tank down this tank which is cause high pH issues. 馃く

Registered
You can cap with sand, it may fall through a bit I'd suggest at least a half inch. I wouldn't suggest rescaping often if you do go with capping as it tends to get ugly. If you want the aesthetic you can keep the stratum to the planted areas and use sand where you have open space to keep from the look of mixing.

Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
I capped the front of a tank on Sunday. Half inch or so of Stratum and a half inch of sand. I don't know how well it will work, but I'm not worried about plants in that particular area anyway. If it mixes too much and looks horrible I'll siphon it out and reapply.

Registered
You can definitely cap it. Any aquasoil will want to come to the surface so you will get a few bits making an appearance from time to time. You can just shove them back under when you see them during a water change. Anyway my typical minimum is 1/2" of aquasoil followed by 1.5 inches of sand. I go deeper in the back with the sand.

Super Moderator
Honestly, why use Stratum if you're going to "cap" it with sand? It doesn't contain much in terms of nutrients for plants and when you're planting or replanting, it's going to end up messy. Because, as others have stated, sand will sink beneath the Stratum.

I'm not sure why people believe there's something special about it but Fluval Stratum isn't remarkable at all. If anything, you'll end up with better results just using sand and root tabs.

Registered
Honestly, why use Stratum if you're going to "cap" it with sand? It doesn't contain much in terms of nutrients for plants and when you're planting or replanting, it's going to end up messy. Because, as others have stated, sand will sink beneath the Stratum.

I'm not sure why people believe there's something special about it but Fluval Stratum isn't remarkable at all. If anything, you'll end up with better results just using sand and root tabs.
No way root tabs an sand don鈥檛 work lol

Super Moderator
No way root tabs an sand don鈥檛 work lol
There are thousands of members here with tank journals documenting their use of sand and sand-like substrates with root tabs. 20 years worth of material. Root tabs and sand work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.