The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m new here. Does anyone have experience using filter floss instead of mesh to separate drainage layers? I just have a lot of spare filter floss and want to know if I can use this as an alternative to buying mesh. I was planning on just having the bottom full of pea gravel with the filter floss and then some organic top soil mixed with activated carbon, then possibly some moss on top. This is meant to be a bio active terrarium for a salamander if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi guys, I’m new here. Does anyone have experience using filter floss instead of mesh to separate drainage layers? I just have a lot of spare filter floss and want to know if I can use this as an alternative to buying mesh. I was planning on just having the bottom full of pea gravel with the filter floss and then some organic top soil mixed with activated carbon, then possibly some moss on top. This is meant to be a bio active terrarium for a salamander if that makes a difference.
Don't use filter floss, especially with a critter that's going to dig. The salamander will be able to dig right into the floss thus defeating any reason for it being there and potentially providing some health issues (if it eats the stuff). The main reason to use a barrier is to stop your critter from getting into the drainage portion and either a) getting stuck, or in the case of critters that lay eggs 2) laying eggs in the drainage layer and then you either not knowing about it or the critters that hatch out getting stuck.

Fiberglass window screen is extremely cheap, there's no reason not to use it. I will say that while pea gravel is relatively cheap and will work for this purpose, it weighs a LOT. If you use something else it will make any tank moves down the line much easier. You have a large number of options for a drainage layer including using pvc pipe to suspend eggcrate covered with fiberglass screen. Or a homogeneous layer of safe-t-sorb (calcined clay). That said, its possible you don't really want to separate your drainage layer at all for a salamander. Depends on the species, but many like to dig and will be upset if they can't burrow as deeply as they like.

What species is this for?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.