The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it is a good idea? I have a bunch of creeping jenny by the back of the tank. They are already at the water surface (16" tall tank). I don't seem to have much luck with using traditional carpet plants. The Chain Sword Narrow Leafs seem to be OK but seeing the whole front carpeted with them would be a long, long wait.

How about I replant the trimming and using them for carpeting? I suspect that I may have to trim the front really good every week???

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will need a whole lot of trimming but you already have it, what have you got to lose by trying it? Give it a try and then buy the Stauro if it doesn't work out.

You are right...:) I believe what I have is creepy jenny or money wort. They have small leaves and almost boutique like. I can literally trim off 3 inches of it. Trim half of the trimming and replant them. They will grow with side shoots too. They look like little flowers....

·
Registered
689 Posts
I used wisteria in this fashion once and it only took 4 rounds on the shop n swap before it stopped going up and just started moving along the substrate. Before I knew it wisteria was everywhere but you want to make sure that you have enough to throw down and I had to weigh mine down with plant weights in order let it root deep enough to stay down.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to derail here but, how do you do this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I believe you trim the top as soon as it is growing up. It will generate side shoots. Anyway, I have abandoned the idea. Instead, I about to plant 20 stems of Staurogyne repens and done with. However, I have tried a bunch of trimmings from my creeping jenny. The problem is that stem does not root quickly before you trim them again. It is better off to let them grow to 4 to 5 inches and you give them a hair cut down to 1 inch. They don't have runners and so it is very difficult to get that dense, luscious look, unless you purposely plant each stem very close to each others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.