The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want a few opinions on if I'm using enough light or not.... If not I could buy another fixture but all my information is in my sig besides my 12hr photo period was dosing with flourish excel daily and the trace elements after my Friday water changes also have root tabs under my rooted plants... Co2 is about a bubble/4seconds gonna fine tune once my reactor and proper regulator comes in the mail

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't know the height of your tank, but if it is less than 25 inches you have medium to high light. You certainly don't need another light, other than to get coverage of the ends of the tank. It looks like a 6 foot long tank, so you could add a 2 foot long AquaticLife 2 bulb T5HO light on the end of the 4 foot long one, and get full coverage of the tank. Or, you could add another 4 foot long one, separating the two lights by 6 inches or more, with one extending to each end. You would then have high light for sure in the middle of the tank.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bottom of the fixture to top of substrate is aprox 21" and bottom of fixture to top of water is about 2"

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You probably have 50-55 PAR at the center of the tank, right under the light. I think I would try adding a second light, staggered so each light extends to one of the ends, and with about 8 inches or so between the two lights. But, if you like the partly lighted tank as it is, it will certainly work fine in the middle 2/3 of the tank at least. You also need to use a lot more CO2 with the amount of light you have.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably have 50-55 PAR at the center of the tank, right under the light. I think I would try adding a second light, staggered so each light extends to one of the ends, and with about 8 inches or so between the two lights. But, if you like the partly lighted tank as it is, it will certainly work fine in the middle 2/3 of the tank at least. You also need to use a lot more CO2 with the amount of light you have.
At the moment with the co2 I'm waiting for a proper regulator because I'm using I diy co2 paintball make shifted with swagelok fittings and I can't control the flow very well.... Already blew apart a difuser 3 bubbles per second sound better??

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I suggest buying a cheap drop checker on Ebay or Amazon, and using it with 4 dKH water to measure roughly how much CO2 you have in your water. You can't tell from the bubble rate.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered a drop checker today with the solution you suggested... Gonna look up how to use it unless you want to chime in

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Fill the "bulb" of the drop checker about halfway, with 4 dKH water. Add 2-3 drops of API or equivalent pH reagent. (The water will then be blue.) Place the drop checker against the glass somewhere in the tank where it is easy to see the color, and in an area where there is some water movement. After about 2 hours, the color of the fluid will be green if you have a significant amount of CO2 in the water (10-40 ppm), blue if you don't, and yellow if you may have too much. Most people who like using them try for a yellow-green color. Others note the bubble rate when it is green, observe the plants and fish, to see if the fish are acting like they are in trouble, and to see how the plants are growing or pearling. They do this for a few days at the same bubble rate. Then they slightly increase the bubble rate and watch the fish for distress, and the plants to see if they are growing better, pearling more, etc. If the fish are ok and the plants are growing better, they repeat this, and continue to do so until the fish don't see to be doing as well, which causes them to reduce the bubble rate slightly. Or, until the plants don't seem to do any better with the last increase, causing them to slightly reduce the bubble rate, deciding that that is the optimum bubble rate for their setup. When you have high light, that last method is the best.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also going to need some way of shutting off the co2 at night correct? Or when the lights are off

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why are you not using a 48'' light fixture?
I am using a 48".... You mean why am I not using a 72?? Well because the capital city of the province I live in and the biggest aquarium centre in that town only had a 48" as the largest fixture.... I might pick up another 24" just to fill the gap on one end but isn't really a high deal at the moment.... Seeing good submersed growth on the Amazon sword, sag is sprouting new plants, hydro is doing really good growth, crypt and microsorum have seen little to no growth and have been in the tank longer... Started getting some good algae growth on the back of the tank and I added 3 clown loaches

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something is wrong with my amazon swords.... Now I'm sure that the browning of the old growth is due to the transition between emersed and submerged but the new growth has now become full of holes

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really need help here.... Plants are going for a dive downwards

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
See Macro nutrient's needed for plant growth KNO3,KH2PO4,K2SO4 in addition to the traces you were/ have been using.
Need to adopt a consistent macro/micro nutrient dosing scheme/method.
See Root tab's for placing under the sword and crypt plant's every three or four month's.
Estimative index dosing scheme for your size tank would be my approach with lighting mentioned and CO2 injection.
If photo's still indicate Anubia in left hand corner as posted (look's nice).I would not worry one bit bout increasing lighting on that end of the tank.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have root tabs under might add 3 more under the swords....as for ferts I know I'm getting micros.... Ill start dosing flourish comprehensive 10ml 2x a week... As for water changes I'm a bit confused I have been doing about 25% once a week..... Should I be changing that routine to about once a month?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have root tabs under might add 3 more under the swords....as for ferts I know I'm getting micros.... Ill start dosing flourish comprehensive 10ml 2x a week... As for water changes I'm a bit confused I have been doing about 25% once a week..... Should I be changing that routine to about once a month?
Have you tested your water recently?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test for what?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's what I figured.... Ordered some yesterday. Will update after I start using them.... What test kits so you guys suggest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.