The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi Chris Jenkins,

Welcome to TPT!

I don't know if that cabinet could hold the weight of a 22 gallon with gravel and accessories - likely 220 pounds or so. Looking at the 'demo' pictures it looks like the corners and the center support in the front may be 1"X2" (pine?) but there is no way to know the top construction. The 'box construction' is particle board (likely 3/8" like the back). Particle board, if it gets wet for any duration of time, turns to mush and loses all structural integrity. Maybe look into doing a DIY or finding a sturdy used piece of used furniture?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
It probably won't. The support part, the actual strength of it as an aquarium stand is not there.
Build it yourself with 2 x 4 so you know it is strong enough. Then skin it with whatever you want. This material can act like a sheer panel, but is not the support structure.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks Roy! Yeah I'm not too keen on the MDF. It's surprisingly hard to find good looking furniture at exactly 36x12. I will probably end up having to build something on my own!
I'm building my own for my 20H. I can guarantee for a lot less money and a little effort you can make a much better stand, to your specs, and the color you want. Rosie O'donnell could jump up and down on this stand I'm building and it wont collapse (or tip) lol.

I didnt have some of the tools, like a miter saw, so I hit craigslist. If you need tools and wont use them a ton there is that option. I bought a nice miter saw for 40 bucks. With tools and lumber, I bought nice smooth luon for the outside, I have maybe 70 bucks, including the cost of the saw, invested. There are tons of plans on the internet.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I['d use 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the carcass. 1/2" plywood for the back rabbeted in. 1x2.5 solid wood for the face frame. Tongue and dado and good glue for joinery. But I've got a pretty decent wood working setup. I'd do raised panel doors.

Reactions: thedood
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.