The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a 125 gal 60x18x25.
Would the what seems to be popular Catalina 48 inch SOLAR T5 HO AQUARIUM LIGHT FIXTURE be enough for a low to med light source?

I previously had a 115 48x18x31 Tall that I lit with a cheapo 4x65 Comp./ Flor. setup and had great success using minimal ferts and no CO2. Just some minerals and good fish load with regular water changes.

I am thinking that since the Catalina is so rated so well and the 125 a bit shorter at 25 inches it may give me simlar results with the same type of lower light plants etc.

I only worry about the 48 incher being a bit shorter on both ends.

I have a few months to study this more before I purchase, but i would really appreciate some input on this configuration or using the shorter length light in general.

I really liked the 31inch tall tank but hated cleaning/pruning it, thought going to a 25 might make the reach a little easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
999 Posts
you'll be high (to very high with all 4 bulbs running) in the middle of the tank and low light on the sides. This isn't a very good idea for a lowtech tank.

Catalina also makes a 6' fixture. (or you could get two 3' fixtures for only a few bucks more)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.
I guess I could go the 48x24x25 120, but I dont think the 48" fixture will dimensionally go in the canopy of the Glass Cages 48" canopy top. Thats actually why i was looking at the 60.
I had to cut the canopy up a bit on my last one for the CF light i had and it was narrower.

You think the 4 light T5 HO unit is too hot for the low tech approach huh? Couldnt I just stagger or reduce the time the 4 lights are on or would it be better to get a 2 bulb unit instead? I was afraid that it wouldnt be enough. In my 115 the 4x65 c/f seemed pretty minimal, but that tank was really deep.

·
Registered
999 Posts
T5HO is a lot more light than CF.

In general, two T5HO bulbs running the length of any average height tank is sufficient light for most any plant, and will need Co2.

If your canopy raises the lights a bit you might get away with a two bulb fixture with no Co2 and be fine.

You could install a retro fixture in your canopy instead of getting a prebuilt unit. Might be a good idea.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...=1440&osCsid=ddfa307c73738cccccc277660b71f87e

that would make it to where you were able to run two bulbs down the length of a 6' tank. just an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
T5HO is a lot more light than CF.
In general, two T5HO bulbs running the length of any average height tank is sufficient light for most any plant, and will need Co2.
If your canopy raises the lights a bit you might get away with a two bulb fixture with no Co2 and be fine.
You could install a retro fixture in your canopy instead of getting a prebuilt unit. Might be a good idea.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...=1440&osCsid=ddfa307c73738cccccc277660b71f87e
that would make it to where you were able to run two bulbs down the length of a 6' tank. just an option.
Thats a very good suggestion, a I could go with a 72x18x25 135Gal.
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2
And then put the retrofits end to end in the canopy. Could you and anyone else out there with experince take a look at the 72x18 canopy pics on this page http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=8 and tell me if you think the catalina retrofit kit would mount ok in there? (close enough or far enough from the tank?) ?

And back to the T5HO lighting. I am amazed that just rows of these bulbs would be sufficient lighting and may still require C02? I really want to avoid C02 if possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.