The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im upgrading to a 55 gallon from my 38. I currently have a 2217 and might purchase another for my 55. My question is: how do i set them up in my tank? Do i use 2 spray bars (ugly) and 2 intakes? Can i combine the outputs? What do people do if they have 2 cannster filters?

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I think most have one in each back corner. If you combine them, they might work (push) against each other, so you'll lose some flow. There might be issues when you clean the hoses.

Having two inlets and outlets in a 4ft tank is an advantage IMO. You don't really have to use a horizontal spraybar. Put it vertical, or use a nozzle output instead.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I run 2 XPs on my 90gal (also 48" long). I use a flow bar for one of my canisters and a lily pipe for the output on the other.

There's room for 2 flowbars and 2 intakes on a 48" long tank, but if you don't like the flowbars then just do as Wasserpest suggests and use a different output (get some clear lily pipes if aesthetics are your primary concern).

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Im running an Eheim Ecco 2232 and 2213 classic for my 20. I place the intake side by side and the outflow spout on the opposite corner.

I lose CO2 when I use the spray bar so I took it out and change to wide jet return.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do i buy a lily pipes? If i dont want to use the spray bar what can i use?

Thanks guys!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You can make your own out of acrylic tubing if you're handy (fishman8909 was making them but IDK if he's too busy now with school in session?) Run a forum search for acrylic lily pipes b/c I know there's a DIY thread on here somewhere...

Or if you don't mind the expense, you can buy glass ones. www.GreenLeafAquarium.com sells some.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems better to have the intakes and returns separate, so a problem with one does not affect the other. If you combined the returns, one filter could be completely non-functional, and you might not immediately notice. If you combine the intakes, one stopped up pipe could shut down the entire system.
Eheim makes a "diffuser" which is a nozzle for the return line which mounts against the rear wall, or the side wall, with a suction cup. It has a place to connnect a standard airline tube, just like a powerhead, and draws air from outside the tank and injects it into the water in a cloud of bubbles. Here is a page with one that fits 1/2" I.D. tubing (Eheim 12/16 mm), because this page had the best image to show you the device. They also make them for larger diameter tubing (which you may have if you are using 2217)

http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Diffuso...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1256294393&sr=8-2

I'm thinking you could have one of these in opposite corners.

Eheim also make lily pipes with a flattened end which delivers the water horizontally across the surface.

http://www.amazon.com/WIDE-RETURN-S...ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1256294313&sr=8-2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts