The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to build a HC hill in my new tank. I have egg crate - do you think it'll work if I cut a hill out of it and tie it up with zip ties to secure it to a base of egg crates? Any better ways to make large round hills?

Also, I have plexiglass - is it possilbe to use a glass cutter and create an oval substrate barrier? I want to put two types of substrate (dirt + sand) but want to separate them from mixing. Do you think that's feasible?

Any other ideas you know of that folks have done with plexiglass / egg crates? I bought some from Home Depot, so I want to put it to good use! Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you've got the glass cutter with the little wheel that scores the glass , such as Red Devil and Fletcher sell , it wont work . There's special plastic cutters that will work , and operate in the same manner , i.e. by scoring the plastic to create a snap line .Lowes has them. Never used one so I can't attest as to how well it would work on curves . Every time I've cut curves in plastic I've used either a band saw with a fine tooth blade , or a portable jig saw , also with a fine tooth blade .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why do you cover your egg crate? Can't I just top everything off with dirt?

I have SS mesh - but it's not that fine...
You run a risk if you build the substrate up too high. A thick mound of sand, dirt, or gravel can develop anaerobic pockets that can poison your tank. That's why I would cover the egg crate rather than just filling the holes with substrate.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
...Probably?

I think most of the stuff used to build models and what not is typically styrene, which should be fine. Although, if you are doing a big project, I imagine using a lot of them could get expensive...

·
Registered
34 Posts
You run a risk if you build the substrate up too high. A thick mound of sand, dirt, or gravel can develop anaerobic pockets that can poison your tank. That's why I would cover the egg crate rather than just filling the holes with substrate.
I filled the egg-crate spaces with pumice (available from garden supply stores); it is neutral so will not influence the water parameters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.