The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides killing algae, what do you use a UV sterilizer for?

Can it be used to control potential diseases by killing bacteria or parasites? Then, I'd be interested in a Turbo-Twist. Otherwise, I guess I better get a diatom filter.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Yes, it will kill free floating bacteria and parasites given enough dwell time. IMO, diatom filters and UV sterilizers have different functions. Diatoms are good for polishing water and do a great job at cleaning up green water quickly and, in my experience, also made quick work of GDA when used with frequent water changes. UV sterilizers can also clear up green water, but of course neither address the cause of algae, just the symptoms. UV sterilizers kill harmful bacteria and parasites in the water column effectively.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding is because beneficial bacteria don't free float, the UV doesn't kill them.

My tank water looks like liquid air thanks to Purigen and 50 micron pads. So, I don't really need water polishing capabilities of a diatom filter. If the UV truly sanitizes my tank water, I'd be very interested. A 9W JBJ submersible UV is only around $70 and it's tempting...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
UVs can help with certain parasites that have a free-swiming stage in their lifecycle. But they can also kill useful organisms, such as infusoria that fry feed on.

Many people use them on their tanks. They can definitely help to prevent green water and unsightly bacteria blooms.

Personally, I don't care for them b/c I like the idea of infusoria thriving in my tank water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.