The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am using a 10g that had a bearded dragon. I used bleach and alcohol to thoroughly clean it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yep, no worries, good cleaning, use bleach if you have to, and give it a good rinse and you're good to go.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I clean everything that goes in the tank with a bleach soak. A half cup of bleach is a really easy way to know what might be in the tank rather than guessing. We can all guess and lots of times we will get away with it but then why risk it?
The nice thing about chlorine and bleach is that it is easy to deal with. We do it all the time with much of our tap water and the only difference is the amount of water to dilute the given amount of chlorine. Easy way to deal with that question is to add water, right?
I would add a bit of bleach depending on how dirty and how large the tank, let it stand 8-10 hours or until I get back to the project and the dump the water. Not in the yard as it can kill grass! After a rinse to dilute, I then let it dry so the smell from any remaining bleach is gone.
Just like washing your dishes before you eat, you could likely get by without it but who wants to try?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
All the above advice seems about right to me. Obviously you'll want to make sure it holds water and fill it to the top as many who keep turtles only fill halfway or less. What you need to watch out for are reptile tanks; as the glass is not as thick as fish tanks and were never built with the intention of holding water. Also want to watch out for fishtanks that were used to keep rodents. Their urine can absorb into the silicone; and they have a habit of chewing on the silicone which can cause leaks. But the link you posted looks good to me. Do you mind me asking what the seller wants for that? (I'm on LI myself and often scour CL for used stuff....havent been looking recently though and I'll typically pass right over an ad that doesnt talk prices).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seller said to make an offer. I made an offer and have not heard back yet.

if you are interested in a 75 gal tank, there's another seller on Massapequa selling their's for $70.. but they refused to fill it up. They insisted on meeting in a public area which is fine, but I won't get to see if it's leak proof. They were firm on the price (I tried to negotiate because I won't be able to see if it's leak proof). I didn't want to take the risk

thanks for the advice on cleaning, everyone.. really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I might be paranoid but do I see a problem with the center brace? That is not too uncommon for herp/ reptile tanks due to the hot lights for heat. Might change the pricing a bunch on that --if it is what I think I see. Something to check is the corners as I find turtle claws can get in between the silicone and the glass to ruin the seal. Look more carefully that if used for fish as there are special problems at times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Rich for the advice! I didn't think about to check the silicone for claw marks.

The top is melted a little- I used that as part of my negotiating tool. they haven't responded and it's been a few hours. guess they rejected my offer.. was $50 too little of an offer for a tank that's used, needs a good scrubbing and melted frame?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Depends lots on the local market and who keeps what. There are likely to be others who want the tank for herps, turtles, terrariums, etc. where the appearance is not a question and the brace not a problem. But for me, I have one tank with broken brace much like this and it has taken considerable study and work to make it usable. At this point, I would not be likely to buy that tank again. But that is due in part to having moved through my main breeding phase so that tanks now are required to look much better if I but them. Beaters work for breeding but for display, not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.