The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need some opinion on whether I should go with a second hand 2217 or new (unopened)

The used 2217 has no mechanical or bio media, no coarse filter pad, no spray bar or suction cups.

How much media do I need to fill a 2217? I was thinking 1L of mechanical media and 2L of the Eheim bio media.

Used is going for $100 CAD and probably another $70-80 for the media, filter pads and spray bar.

New unopened 2217 is going for $220.

Is it worth while to go with used to save $50-60?

·
Registered
119 Posts
For that price difference I would just go new. However, if you are ordering the filter from somewhere with the parts, go ahead and order another ceramic shaft to keep on hand. That is the only part I've ever had fail on me, and getting ahold of a new one on short notice it tough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For that price difference I would just go new. However, if you are ordering the filter from somewhere with the parts, go ahead and order another ceramic shaft to keep on hand. That is the only part I've ever had fail on me, and getting ahold of a new one on short notice it tough.
What about the filter media? Is 1L mechanical and 2L bio media enough for 2217?

Couldn't really find any info on the amount of media they normally come with when new.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd be tempted to reduce the biomedia and increase the mechanical. I think you'd save money and get better filtration. To be more specific, I'd use several inches of filter foam, which is both mechanical and bio. I usually use Poret foam in canisters, but it may be not easy or cheap to get that in Canada. Perhaps you can find a substitute. I still think you'd save $ using foam overbiomedia.

I've gotten most of my Eheims used, including my 2217, and had good results. Sometimes I've had to buy a new impeller or shaft, but that's not terribly expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.