The Planted Tank Forum banner

Used cotton to stick hardscape

564 2
Hi All,

I recently used super glue and cotton to put the driftwood and rock together. Few days later I started to notice white mould on wood which I ignored assuming natural decay. A week down it started spreading on sand near by wood as well as on cotton between the stone. Is this bad guy? 
Plant Organism Fawn Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant

Some of these have turned grey and look like moulds
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

You could see them on the branch.

Can someone please help me out. I'm a beginner.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Get an old toothbrush you never plan to use again and scrub at the white stuff. If it flakes away it was fungus. If it stays put regardless of how you scrub, its superglue (which also turns white on wood when exposed to water). Thereafter add the toothbrush to your maintenance kit, its surprisingly useful.

If your lucky its just fungus. New wood gets fungus pretty regularly and will go away/be eaten by fish/snails/shrimp when your cycle is done and you add livestock.

If your not lucky its superglue residue which will remain visible for years to come. If it were me, I'd try to hide those spots with plants. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get an old toothbrush you never plan to use again and scrub at the white stuff. If it flakes away it was fungus. If it stays put regardless of how you scrub, its superglue (which also turns white on wood when exposed to water). Thereafter add the toothbrush to your maintenance kit, its surprisingly useful.

If your lucky its just fungus. New wood gets fungus pretty regularly and will go away/be eaten by fish/snails/shrimp when your cycle is done and you add livestock.

If your not lucky its superglue residue which will remain visible for years to come. If it were me, I'd try to hide those spots with plants. Good luck!
That means either ways it is not harmful. Now that is a relief.

That big portion is not glue. It must some fungus from cotton. My concern was that my stock may catch it and die of it. I'll just add shrimp in that case and get started at their job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.