The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first poster ever! Though I have appreciated this site immensely over the years as I have grown into the hobby. My question is this:

If I take previously used ADA Amazonia soil from an older tank of mine, clean & rinse it, dry it in the oven, sift it to get the smallest particles out, and use it in a current and established tank of mine, should I expect it to spike ammonia all over again? Or, because it's been used before (approximately 2 years old) has that phase passed and I can add it to the current tank to re-elevate a back corner without the worry?

My tank is fairly heavily planted, with a relatively small bio-load of about 9 green light tetras and 4 head and tail lights. It's a 36 gal bow-front and I use CO2.

Would any other details help you answer this?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
To reuse aquasoil scoop it out of the old tank or bucket and keep it wet. While you drain the tank you should try to do a very thorough vacuuming with a hose to reduce the mud and fish waste. Do not allow to dry and do not bake it. There will be no ammonia spike but it will be very dusty no matter what but it will clear with enough water changes and vacuuming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To reuse aquasoil scoop it out of the old tank or bucket and keep it wet. While you drain the tank you should try to do a very thorough vacuuming with a hose to reduce the mud and fish waste. Do not allow to dry and do not bake it. There will be no ammonia spike but it will be very dusty no matter what but it will clear with enough water changes and vacuuming.
The soil in question had already dried. So I have cleaned and baked it already as well. Do you know if it will spike ammonia if I add it into another established tank?

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
It shouldn't but it might turn to mud very quickly if you rehydrate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shouldn't but it might turn to mud very quickly if you rehydrate.
Hmm, I will test a small amount outside the tank and maybe let it sit overnight to see how it holds up. I don't think I would have thought of that outcome. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts