The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
Just going to make a quick note for those that don't know it. If you run your CO2 line into the intake of your eheim, it will act as a reactor giving usually 100% absorption. Just makes sure your BPS aren't so high that you get a big air pocket in the filter pump. Works like a charm and doesn't cost a thing!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What does that do to your bacteria in the filter though?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have heard about gas lock being a problem with this set up, where the CO2 fills up the impeller chamber of the filter, thus causing it operate without any water which can cause damage. This hasn't happened to me after about two years of running it this way.

When I clean the filter, I do see a small "ring" of crust on the bottom of the pump housing; evidence of a gas bubble. But this doesn't appear to block the water flow. Every few days, it belches a few small bubbles.

Bacteria damage would be evident by measurable levels of ammonia or nitrite. I read 0 for both of these. If the bacteria in the filter is being killed, there is apparently enough in the tank to compensate for this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point about bacteria- i don't have to worry about it, but I'm sure other so. i don't think it's a big issue though. I have 2 eheims on my 55 gallon. The smaller only runs floss, and thats were the CO2 is. The biological is in the other filter. I know a few other people doing it in their main filters and have no issues though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.