The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would the polystyrene light fixture grid that so many of you use at the bottom of your tanks work under rocks to help distribute the weight?
I went out looking for rocks & driftwood today - didn't get much of either one, but I found some rocks I really like (that's not hard to do lol).
The largest one is 35lbs, and I was hoping the grid would help take pressure off the bottom glass. I'd like to put it vertically in a 29g, but it will probably end up horizontal to be stable.
A pic also of where I go to collect - it's very relaxing! About 10 miles of mountain creekbeds...and today's puny wood score. In my defense, a snake startled me at another site, I slipped on the compacted slit (dang slippery stuff!) and down I went - Canon 50D too! I rushed home to clean it up. Thanks goodness it's fine...whew! (It and my lenses are insured for full replacement cost, something I highly recommend!)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There is a ton of debate about this. My 2 cents is that it in no way will help(or hurt). Have you ever lifted and bent that stuff? it doesn't deflect or diffuse weight.

further, if you put substrate, then the rocks in, the substrate is doing the work.

I've posted a youtube video before showing how much a tank can really hold... I'll try to find it.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
LOL! You are welcome.

Those are nice boulders. I may have to make a hardscape collecting trip soon. The best time for me is when it's nice and cold and all the little snakies are fast asleep or dead.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
In my 150g tank the largest rock is almost 130lbs and my tank is still holdign water.

Craig

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow - thanks for all the replies!
I'd like to see that 130lb rock!
joekidwell, that pic of yours is most convincing. The vid just freaks me out! I went to HD tonight to check out the plastic light grid - I had no idea they were so fragile and cheesy. I was afraid of using large rock because at one time someone had posted something about "one little tap" and the aquarium glass could shatter. That freaked me out, too. The glass on the 29g tanks seems really thin to me, but I guess it will be fine.

I have no idea what kinds of rocks are in these creeks - I should find out I suppose. I do a vinegar test, knowing that's inconclusive, but it puts my mind at ease - lol.
There's lots of white and pink (rose) quartz, creamy yellow/white/grey rocks (I stay away from them because they might be limestone) dark grey (granite?) jagged rocks full of quartz streaks, purple rocks, black rocks, oodles that are like the peachy one in the pic (my favorite kind) - there are sooo many rocks...I love rocks. My best friend & I stop and pick up rocks everywhere we go! Today I grabbed a large rose colored rock for the living room. I can't decide if it's rose quartz or not - the drusy is so tiny and compacted. It's about 14" long & shaped like Virginia.
I like snakes, but not too up-close-and-personal! lol Last time I went out to where I slipped & almost ruined the camera, I came within a foot of stepping on a copperhead. I may cross that location off my list until winter.
Next time I go rock collecting - which may be soon as I'm on vacation - I'm bringing a canvas tote bag for the smaller, fist-sized rocks - they have great striations and bands of color. As you can see from where my car is parked, these creeks are right next to the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
The rock on the far right in this picture is the 130 lb rock. For size reference the tank is 72" wide, 18" deep and 30" tall, the rock is about 10" thick at its thickest part, 24" tall and 18.5" wide

All together there is roughly 400 lbs of rock with the rocks shown in this photo.

Craig

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOOH! Rock envy! LOL
How did you ever lift them to get them in the tank? I guess it's ok for them to touch the sides/back of the glass, or am I seeing that wrong? I had read here a while back some debate on if that would cause undue stress on the tank leading to shattering. I thought I might place a clear gel-like cushion between the rock and where it would touch the glass - to keep from scratching the glass as well as protecting it.

I like those clip on lights, too - who makes them?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
OOOH! Rock envy! LOL
How did you ever lift them to get them in the tank? I guess it's ok for them to touch the sides/back of the glass, or am I seeing that wrong? I had read here a while back some debate on if that would cause undue stress on the tank leading to shattering. I thought I might place a clear gel-like cushion between the rock and where it would touch the glass - to keep from scratching the glass as well as protecting it.

Your average 10 gallon tank has 80 lbs of water in it. 29g has almost 300 lbs of water. My 75g tank weighs close to 1000 lbs with tank, water, substrate, stand.

If a 20lb rock is going to cause damage.....

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
OOOH! Rock envy! LOL

Somewhat touching the back glass but not much. The one on the far right is touching the back glass just not teh side glass but maybe in one tiny spot.

Took 2 of us and we went very slowly and said alot of prayers as we were heaving them over the rin and slowly lowering them in the tank. One small slip would have been a disaster.

The biggest 2 rocks you see were about 200+ lbs, in all I paid $48 for almost 550 lbs of rock from a landscaping place.

As for the lights those were JBJ Viper K-2 70 watt Clamp on MH units I still have 2 left for sale. I replaced them with a trio of Coralife Aqualight Advnaced Clamp ons that are 150 watts ea. You can see lot of pictures of the incarnation of this tank in my signature.

Craig

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the debate I was reading was if the rock - in direct contact with the glass - could shatter the glass because it would be a pinpoint of concentrated weight.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Your average 10 gallon tank has 80 lbs of water in it. 29g has almost 300 lbs of water. My 75g tank weighs close to 1000 lbs with tank, water, substrate, stand.

If a 20lb rock is going to cause damage.....
I've got 400+ lbs of rock, 150g of water and 200 lbs of sand plus fish and filters. :eek5:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts