The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I used gorilla glue to attach a rock to my driftwood.

Problem with epoxy is you have to let it cured for a few hours... Not sure if the plant will survive outside of water for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Superglue works

Rocks, driftwood, it sticks.

These ferns in my tank are secured in place using just superglue. Simply use it when you are setting up (dry condition, just spray the plant to prevent dehydration) or bring down the water level. Spread a bit and hold in position for 15-30 seconds to allow quick dry.

Around 3 months after :

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I used the dry method as medicineman Describes, but I've also read of people using it underwater. You might find that method posted on here if you run a search of the forum.

OT...Cool looking java jungle you got there btw medicineman.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, it's easy to use superglue underwater- I do it all the time to attach corals to rocks in my reef tank. You have to use the gel glue, the thicker the better. Just apply a small drop or bead to the plant, put it in the water and hold it to the wood or rock for a few seconds. You can even put the tube in the water and apply the glue directly to the wood.

100% safe, reef keepers use superglue for everything!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Superglue is what I use!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1 on gel superglue. Though honestly, I've never had a problem getting Java Moss or Fern to stay on driftwood or a rock, I just tie it with cotton thread. The thread rots away and the plant roots do the rest.

Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, supergel it is. Some of the rocks in my tank are large, sticking a plant to them whithout moving them sounds good. Another thing Ive been thinking of is using Magic Thread to attach plants, its sold to hold bait in fishing hooks. Kind of an elastic thread, you wrap it around something a few times then break it off. Might work good for moss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Loctite superbonder is what use, its like 15$ for the real good stuff, sadly i've tested a few and with loctites superbonder i've had the most difficult time getting my fingers apart!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Huh. How do you like that. I've been at this hobby for 5 years, and this is the first I've heard that you can use superglue underwater. I probably just stick with the "natural" methods to put plants in their place, but I may call upon this info if I ever need to fix some wood or small rocks.

I have used epoxy quite extensively, and I can tell you that different blends yield different results. That 5 min tube-stuff is junk compared to West Systems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The easiest way to use superglue is take the plant out, apply the superglue where you want on it. Once the plant is out, wipe off any water where the superglue will go. Before you place the plant back in the tank, let the superglue sry to a light haze(just so it doesnt look clear) And place and hold the plant where you want it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have used epoxy quite extensively, and I can tell you that different blends yield different results. That 5 min tube-stuff is junk compared to West Systems.
unirdna, have you used epoxy to hold plants? I was thinking of the putty type, that you knead the two parts, not the ones that are more of a liquid.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
unirdna, have you used epoxy to hold plants? I was thinking of the putty type, that you knead the two parts, not the ones that are more of a liquid.

Nope, I've only used epoxy for rocks/driftwood/claypots - hard stuff. But, I always used 2 part liquid. Plumbers putty works when wet, I'm sure of that. I've used to to fix leaks in the undersink drain, while it was dripping, with decent results (dry is still better). That said, I have NO IDEA if plumbers putty is safe for [planted] tanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts