Votes: 16 61.5%
  • I failed!

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen these before? Most of us are US citizens I assume, so how much we know?

The questions,

US INS TEST QUESTIONS

1) What are the colors of the flag?

2) How many stars ore there in our flag?

3) What color are the stars on our flag?

4) What do the stars on the flag mean?

5) How many stripes are there on the flag?

6) What color are the stripes?

7) *What do the stripes on the flag mean?

8) How many states are there in the union?

9) What is the 4th of July?

10) What is the date of Independence Day?

11) Independence from whom?

12) What country idd we fight during the Revolutionary War?

13) Who was the first president of the US?

14) Who is the president of the US today?

15) Who is the vice president of the US?

16) *Who elects the president?

17) Who becomes president if the president should die?

18) For how long do we elect the president?

19) *What is the Constitution?

20) Can the Constitution be changed?

21) What do we call a change to the Constitution?

22) *How many changes or Amendments to the Constitution are there?

23) How many branches are there in our govt?

24) *What are the 3 branches of our govt?

25) *What is the Legislative Branch?

26) *Who makes the laws in the US?

27) *What is Congress?

28) *What are the duties of Congress?

29) Who elects Congress?

30) *How many senators are there in Congress?

31) Can you name the two senators from your state?

32) *For how long do we elect each senator?

33) *How many representatives are there in Congress?

34) *For how long do we elect the representative?

35) *What is the Executive Branch?

36) *What is the Judicial Branch?

37) *What are the duties of the Supreme Court?

38) *What is the supreme law of the US?

39) *What is the Bill of Rights?

40) What is the capital of your state?

41) Who is the current governor of your state?

42) *Who becomes president if both the president and VP die?

43) *Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court?

44) *Can you name the 13 original states?

45) *Who said, "Give me Liberty, or give me death"?

46) *Which countries were our principal allies during WWII?

47) *What is the 49th state of the Union?

48) *How many terms can a president serve?

49) Who was Martin Luther King Jr?

50) Who is the head of your local govt?

51) *According to the constitution, a person must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible to become president. Name one requirement.

52) *Why are there 100 senators in the Senate?

53) *Who selects the Supreme Court justices?

54) *How many Supreme Court justices are there?

55) *Why did the pilgrims come to America?

56) What is the head executive of a state govt called?

57) What is the head executive of a city govt called?

58) *What holiday was celebrated for the first time by the American colonists?

59) *Who was the main writer of the Declaration of Independence?

60) When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

61) *What is the basic belief of the Declaration of Independence?

62) What is the name of the US's National Anthem?

63) *Who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner?

64) *Where does freedom of speech come from?

65) *What is the minimum voting age in the US?

66) Who signs bills into law?

67) What is the highest court in the US?

68) *Who was president during the Civil War?

69) *What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?

70) *What special group advises the president?

71) Which president is called the "Father of our Country"?

72) *What is the 50th state of the Union?

73) *Who helped the Pilgrims in America?

74) *What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America?

75) *What were the 13 original states of the US called?

76) *Name three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights?

77) *Who has the power to declare war?

78) *Name one amendment that guarantees or addresses voting rights?

79) Which president freed the slaves?

80) *In what year was the Constitution written?

81) *What are the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution called?

82) *Name one purpose of the United Nations?

83) *Where does Congress meet?

84) Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

85) *What is the introduction to the Constitution called?

86) *Name one benefit of being a ciitizen of the US?

87) *What is the most important right granted to US citizens?

88) What is the US Capitol Building?

89) What is the White House?

90) *Where is the White House located?

91) What is the name of the president's official home?

92) *Name one right guaranteed by the First Amendment?

93) Who is the Commander in Chief of the US military?

94) Which president was the first Commander in Chief of the US military?

95) *In what month do we vote for the president?

96) *In what month is the new president inaugurated?

97) *How many times may a senator be reelected?

98) *How many times may a congressman be reelected?

99) What are the two major political parties in the US today?

100) How many states are there in the US?

----

Selected answers on site it's from www.debito.org: 100 Test Questions for US Naturalization Candidates (as of 1996)

did a bunch top 40 or so in a few mins of the top of my head so I think it's easy.....

So is it easy?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it goes like this, the inmigration officer shows you 10 envelopes, each one with 10 different questions obviously. You pick one and he proceds to test you. Of course prior to this you have to know the answer to the 100 questions by heart, you don't want to take any risks.
Rafo
Yeah I know you only answer 10, but those are all the possible ones... So I figured I would post them to see how people did....

Its pretty easy I think,

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Why don't they ask questions that actually matter for survival in this country?

Questions about jobs, laws, police, money, bills, civil rights, schooling, taxes, etc.?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without preparation, I think it would be pretty tough for the average citizen-to-become. Spend an hour of studying the answers and it gets really easy.
Yes I agree, but was pointing it more at us. Since We are mostly citizens....

Why don't they ask questions that actually matter for survival in this country?

Questions about jobs, laws, police, money, bills, civil rights, schooling, taxes, etc.?
Because its probably the way it's been for decades lol... Many countries have similar "tests"

I'm doing Cit. in the World merit badge for Boy Scouts....Hopefully Eagle this year, I'm just being soooo pickey on the service project who knows -.-:help:

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, If your gonna vote post as well,... Who was the FUNNY GUY? Or did someone really fail? Was it because your not from the USA? Because hell, If I didn't live here I wouldn't know much of it either!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats ridiculous! They give them all the questions!!!! Not to hard as WP said all they have to do is memorize them. I agree MB, they need questions about important stuff. How about a speaking test!
Yes the test is very easy, Its sad how many non-legal people are in this country.... But yes walking in is much easier than taking this test.... MAYBE

Because then even fewer natural born Americans could pass the test. Most seem pretty clueless to that type of stuff as it is.
Lol, toooo true we need some :help: :help: :help: :help:

So where did you guys vote?:flick:

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I put in the middle as it's been a very long time since I've had to know/think about any of this stuff. Just running down the list I'd guess I would get about 90%. If I had a refresher course in government (just a couple hours really) it'd be 100%.

Of course, most of it is the type of stuff that we should grow up knowing, and that anybody who is a citizen should know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thats ridiculous! They give them all the questions!!!! Not to hard as WP said all they have to do is memorize them. I agree MB, they need questions about important stuff. How about a speaking test!
This isn't a written test. Whoever is doing the interview is going to ask you out loud and you have to be able to understand and answer back appropiately otherwise you'll fail.
I agree with RoseH. this is the kind of stuff that anybody living in the US of A should know.
Rafo

·
Registered
898 Posts
Funny guy.... that would be me. I knew about 1/2 of them off the top of my head, and just gave up on it around # 54.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Funny guy.... that would be me. I knew about 1/2 of them off the top of my head, and just gave up on it around # 54.
I gave up at #43 I knew about half of them up 'till then, I probably would have failed though, I don't spend much time thinking about that kind of stuff. With an hour of studying I would've passed it though.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Well let's come up with some new questions then...

There's one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contestants. What is it?

What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

At noon and midnight the hour and minute hands are exactly coincident with each other. How many other times between noon and midnight do the hour and minute hands cross?

What is the only sport in which the ball is always in the possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw". They are all common. Name two of them.

There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar.
Can you name half of them?

Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers"?

There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls - a walk - is one way. Name the other six.

It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?

How is it possible for a pitcher to make four or more strikeouts in one inning?

Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet, that begin with the letter "s".

The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it?

A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible?

If you were born in December, how could your birthday be in the summer?

Joe and Tom and the boys in the bar were exchanging old war stories. Joe offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was awarded a medal that was inscribed with: "For Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War I. From the Men of Battalion 8."
Tom looked at Joe and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?"
What's wrong with the story?

There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the Home Show. One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible?

How can you arrange for two people to stand on the same piece of newspaper and yet be unable to touch each other without stepping off the newspaper.

A rope ladder hangs over the side of a ship. The rungs are one foot apart and the ladder is 12 feet long. The tide is rising at four inches an hour. How long will it take before the first four rungs of the ladder are underwater?

In which sport are the shoes made entirely of metal?

According to most state laws, the attempt to commit a certain crime is punishable, but actually committing the crime is not. What is the crime?

Find the English word that can be formed from all these letters: PNLLEEEESSSSS

If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?

How many did you get right?? More than 20, you have the right to remain a citicen. ;)
Brain Teasers - Page 2

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
In the first 50 or so there were 3 that I wasnt positive on. I am a firm believer of immigration in the US, unfortunately there is no easy way to fix the problems we are experiencing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
the problem is not the test.... the legal wait is why people take the easy illegal route. You can wait years to become citizen. I know people constantly renewing their visas, residesnt cards because the government is taking year. Here is another thing, lets say somene came here in the 1970's became citizen, petitioned their sister or other family...It can take over 20 years for the petition to get through. waiting 20 years to get citizenship...Here is another thing, I know someone very close to me who came here in te 70's. In line, her sister was behind her. Well, she was the last one called, the limit was filled. her sister did not come here for 20 years later...Becoming citizen is hard and is more than a test. I had some friend who was also trying to become citizen. One item on the form was incorrect, notonly did they have to fill out the form and have to start the process all over again, they had to pay more money.. Also immigration costs lots of $$$ especially fi you are comming from Asia. Most poor cannot afford to immigrate here legally because it costs thousands of dollars to fill out the papers and test.

As for the quiz, i ber most citizens cannot anwer it, maybe we should start testing our citizens every 7 years and if they fail it they get their televisions taken away until it is passed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is supposed to be hard? I'm Canadian and I think I got most of them. I can only imagine what would happen if I had prepared....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is supposed to be hard? I'm Canadian and I think I got most of them. I can only imagine what would happen if I had prepared....
But how many Americans can correctly say what color the maple leaf is on the Canadian flag?

That was a question on 1 vs 100 I believe. People got it wrong......:eek: It was a 50/50 shot! Choices were red, white, and black.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts