The Planted Tank Forum banner

Urgent! Strange red spot on Rasbora, please help.

4444 8
Hello fellow aquarium enthusiasts,
I have an established, very healthily planted 46bow I am currently stocking. As of now I have 6 Rasboras and 6 Cardinals, all of which look great. Today, I went to my LFS to scoop 2 more Rasboras in hopes of minimizing some antagonizing that has been occurring. My current Rasboras have been in the tank for 8 days now and they look healthy as can be. The two I got today are from the exact same batch as the ones I've had. They've been at my LFS for three+ weeks with no issues, so unfortunately when they were bagged up I didn't do a thorough inspection. Upon getting home and acclimating them I noticed a small red dot on the female. I have NO idea what this could be and can't find much on the internet. The only potential thing I could find was Epizootic Ulcerative.

Does anyone know what this is? Has anyone seen anything like this? I'm inclined to say yes, but does everyone else think it would be a bad idea to add her to the current stock? She is very active and eager to swim with her buddies (I have her in a floating fish-prison (breeder box), as I do not currently have a quarantine tank, I know I should, but right now I don't).

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I treated her with some aquarium salt in the breeder box & added some stress coat, its been a few hours now and she seems healthy otherwise, so I've released her with the rest of the stock and she's acting normal. Let's hope it's just a minor injury! Water parameters are great and I generally do water changes every other day when adding new stock. Once my fish budget is replenished, first thing on the agenda is 10gal quarantine so I don't have to stress over such things.

Here's her new and hopefully long-term home, cheers!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Very nice tank! Perfect for little harlequins.
For the QT, you just need a sponge filter and a lid. I suggest buying a few extra sponges for the filter and keeping one stuffed behind those plants at all times. That way you can pull it out and stick it in the QT for an insta-cycled QT. Just be sure to sterilize the sponge before sticking it back in the main tank if anything in the QT turns out to be sick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks! Figured I'd give a quick update if anyone else had a similar situation. I treated her in the breeding cage w/ some salt and stress coat and released her after about an hour. Her color is not quite where I would like it be, but that is usually the case when bringing new fish home. However, the spot has cleared right up and she is currently being courted by several eager males, I hope it's not too stressful for her! She looks well and seems healthy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the tips. I currently have 5 males and 3 females. They have been laying eggs pretty regularly. Another female would probably be best now that you mention it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

I am having issues with the same fish again. Since I received her over two weeks ago she has always had a good appetite, but appeared to be rather ripe-- beyond just holding eggs. I fed her peas and everything seemed to be okay. She has always been less active than everyone else, staying pretty still in spots for several minutes. She also appears to have a single damaged scale(my assumption: it reflects oddly and can be see in the picture). No pine-coning or anything of the sort. I do believe she suffers from constipation. Today, I noticed redness in her rear area. I have her isolated as of now in a breeder box, but I do have a 10gal, cycled, hospital tank ready for use. I have treated her with aquarium salt and stress coat while in the box. I am unsure how to proceed. Pictures are attached.

Water parameters are in check, heavily planted tank, all organisms are thriving. Frequent water changes, last was today.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some pencilfish at my LFS had similar-looking red splotches, but I didn't think they appeared to be from past injuries. The affected areas were larger than the small spot on yours. I didn't buy them, but they seemed healthy otherwise and are still doing fine at the store 2 weeks later. Part of me wondered if it's just natural pencilfish coloration, but they were on different spots and asymmetrical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.