The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all Outlook or Terminal Services experts!!!!

One of my users is having a very strange problem regarding her Outlook signature. She just changed her signature inside of Outlook, but when she opened a new email window her signature now shows the old, deleted one AND the new one.

I shadowed her, went into her Outlook, removed her signature (there is definitely only one there!) and recreated it from scratch. Opened a new email window, and there are two signatures. Went back the %appdata% folder and deleted all 3 signatures (the rtf, the htm, and the txt), opened Outlook again, opened a new email window, and there is the OLD signature!? Went back into Tools and looked at signatures, there is NOTHING there.

What's going on?

I began thinking it was a group policy setting, but I went into AD and see nothing currently configured that would affect Outlook. I then started thinking maybe it was a registry key that needs to be removed... So I gave this user temporary local admin rights and logged into the server as her, opened regedit, started browsing through the hkcu keys... but anything I see having to do with signatures is not configured.

This is driving me nuts, and I really don't want to have to recreate her Outlook profile, because that is a big PITA.

Any gurus out there want to take a stab at this?

There are no login scripts other than a generic "net use" script so I can map their client drives into their terminal session, but other than that there are no login scripts that are affecting anything of this nature. So I'm left believing this is either:

a) a corrupted Outlook profile
b) a registry key that has somehow held on to a signature that was definitely deleted
or c) a group policy setting in AD that isn't specific to Outlook

I can't find any helpful solutions using Google... help me to NOT have to call microsuck for technical assistance. Thanks.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Ah OK yes I have Server '03 that is also terminal server. Never ran in to something like this before though. Seen some crazy stuff though. I am sure your have rebooted the server to see if it might be something cached?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just in case anyone was hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for a solution to my problem... (hah, yeah right!)

... I could NEVER figure out what was causing this problem. I ended up having to remove the user's Outlook profile and recreate it from scratch (which is always a PITA, making sure to put it back exactly the way they had it before, because end users go catatonic when stupid little things change like their mail folders are out of order or whatever...). I still kept searching for some evidence that this has happened to anyone else out there in the world, yet my search was fruitless.

So yeah, this was an anomaly, but I didn't have to call Microsuck, and the user has her correct signature now.

Thanks for helping, conduct. :)

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
It would not be the 1st time I seen someones .pst or other outlook settings fubar.
I come to the conclusion that it the user wanted there signature changed then they messed it up. When they ask me how I just say I have no idea and welcome to my world. I swear not 1 week goes by that was some strange or weird twist on this program or this printer or this file that is impossible to do but it happens. I am sure if you kept may have found it but one IT to another you just have to give in sometimes and do the long or PITA way to get something to work correctly again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts