The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tank scrubber (purchased from walmart) that I used for the first time to clean the front glass of my tank.

Immediately after i did this all of my shrimp freaked out and began falling to the floor of the tank onto their backs. Some are still swimming but very erratically.

Can someone explain what I should do.

I just did a 50% water change and they are still swimming but I'm not sure for how long

Also please explain what you think happened so I don't do it again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a paperclip holding a sponge to my intake on the filter so i pulled that off just to be safe but it's been on there for a while.

I don't think the scrubber has any metal in it but I could be wrong.

Would you suggest that I do another water change today? if so how long should I wait?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I had a paperclip holding a sponge to my intake on the filter so i pulled that off just to be safe but it's been on there for a while.

I don't think the scrubber has any metal in it but I could be wrong.

Would you suggest that I do another water change today? if so how long should I wait?
The paperclip is safe.

Are you sure it was a tank scrubber and not like a cleaning pad for something? My guess is that there was ammonia in the product, do you have any prime? I would double dose.

Also if you have another tank with somewhat similar parameters, throw them in there asap don't worry about acclimation or anything.

-Andrew

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
If the shrimp are still acting funny, I would do another water change. It sounds like something was on the sponge. It is possible a chemical of some sort was accidently introduced as a result.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
If it happened immediately then whatever it was it was very toxic. Anything less than a 100% water change may not have helped except to delay the reaction.

Hard to say what an unwrapped scrubber might be exposed to in a warehouse/store.

SteveU

·
Registered
316 Posts
Some sponges and scrubbers are soaked in an anti-bacterial solution to prevent mold and such. I hope it didn't have that since that is not tank safe.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Some sponges and scrubbers are soaked in an anti-bacterial solution to prevent mold and such. I hope it didn't have that since that is not tank safe.
+1
probably too late by now...but i'd get move all the shrimps to a new container with freshwater.

Empty your current tank, give it a few good rinse INCLUDING your filter and media (You might need to replace it as well, since the media could soak up and trap chemicals)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i solved the mystery of the shrimp.

The scrubber was on the floor by my desk in my office at work for a while. I had actually forgot i had it here.

I found it and said hey let me clean my tank.

Here's the kicker. We have a pest control guy that sprays our offices where i work and more than likely he sprayed the scrubber.

As of right now I only have 1 dead shrimp. 2 of the other ones have a white shade to them but they are still kicking. The other 5 seem to be fine. I bet those shrimp were high as some kites. I think i'll have to send them to rehab.

I have anacharis in the same tank so hopefully it sucks the bad stuff out the water.

I will continue to do water changes each day and I will make sure i change out my media in the filter.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dump a bunch of carbon in your filter too..
It is the only thing that can really suck the harmful toxic out of the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts