The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
That depends a lot on what you're setting up the tank for. Cardinal tetras do best with a ph of 4.6-6.2, some African Cichlids thrive with a ph of 8-9. Usually it's best to deal with the ph that you have rather than try to change it. GH and KH also vary with the type of tank you're setting up. Keepers of Cardinia shrimp use very soft water with a ph of under 7. Using a soil substrate that buffers the PH and doing water changes with re-mineralized reverse osmosis water. TDS varies considerably as well depending on what you're keeping in the tank.
What are the plans for your tank? Do you know what your parameters are yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to get neon tetras (petco) and plants from aquarium coop dwarf hair grass vallianera and water sprite I’m using lava rock mobani wood and fluval stratum. My plan is to center around the neon tetras as they are my favorite and any thing else that will thrive in those conditions. My tds is 170 tap but I got a ro system for free (new) so I figured why not be perfect. My ph is always 6.8 tap I have no gh or kh tests yet . But seeing as soon want to exclusively use ro some values for gh and kh would be great. Do you know any shrimps that like the same as neons ??
Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And ok here petco is my only option locally seeing as my local “experts” are saltwater people and don’t know anything about fresh. Also oblivious that there own tanks are infested with ich

·
Registered
528 Posts
My experience is that it doesn't matter as much as would seem. For example, supposedly red cherry shrimp need soft low pH water but mine have always thrived in my hard > 7 pH water. They have babies and proliferate. I'm sure there are some plants and animals that are very particular but my guess is that with good husbandry most will adapt fine to whatever you have.

As another poster recommended, work with what you got and try not to change too much otherwise you set yourself on a treadmill of constantly trying to balance water parameters and creating a potential shock if they oscillate too much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience is that it doesn't matter as much as would seem. For example, supposedly red cherry shrimp need soft low pH water but mine have always thrived in my hard > 7 pH water. They have babies and proliferate. I'm sure there are some plants and animals that are very particular but my guess is that with good husbandry most will adapt fine to whatever you have.

As another poster recommended, work with what you got and try not to change too much otherwise you set yourself on a treadmill of constantly trying to balance water parameters and creating a potential shock if they oscillate too much.
Great advice. The reason I am changing to ro is I have found spikes up to 900 tds in my tank have another thread with a similar topic an people telling me to dose each element. (To much work) so I got equilibrium acid buffer and Alkaline buffer I’m gonna practice kiss (keep it simple stupid)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Great advice. The reason I am changing to ro is I have found spikes up to 900 tds in my tank have another thread with a similar topic an people telling me to dose each element. (To much work) so I got equilibrium acid buffer and Alkaline buffer I’m gonna practice kiss (keep it simple stupid)

If you found 900TDS in your tank you'd want to isolate if that is coming from your tap or if it was manufactured in tank due to topping off too much vs water changes, especially if you have harder water and/or dose heavily. My water is 250-400 out of the tap depending on weather and I have Seiryu rock which leaches into the water. I can keep it close to nominal TDS by doing frequent water changes. I do one 5G bucket a night or about a 7-10% change so there isn't a large swing ever and it stays stable. If I waited a couple weeks to do a water change I think my TDS would be very high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.