The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope you can help! LIttle urgent..and little unexpected. Here is my tank detail:

- around 10Gallon ADA tank with ada soil. Setup for less than 5 months.
- Use two sponge filters with air pumps.
- Not so much plants
- GH is 5 and KH is 1-2
- PH is around 6.4
-Temp is 24 celcius
- TDS...is 278 (it used to be below 150 in the first 2-3 months
- Repace with RO/tap water once a week. The size is about 1/4 of the tank.
- NO3 is about 20 by using API...
NO2 is 0

I have over 30 mischling and 5 BBK in it..and no causaulty at all in the first 4 months. It just happened last Thursday I have 4 shrimps died...then 2 on Friday... and 3 on Saturday. And today I got another 2... so far 2 BBK is dead...so I am going to transfer the shrimps to other of my tanks for temporary.

May I ask what is going wrong my my shrimps dying one by one in a sudden? MY NO3 has been 20 for a while... and is TDS another issue...which is little too high? What should I do..should I replace all of the water? Or should I change my sponge filter back to any other kind of filter such as Canister... I just cleaned the fitlers last weekend while there started to have shrmips died.

Hope you can help.... and now i cannot focus at work :(

Takami

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
If you have shrimp in that other tank I would NOT transfer them. I tried that once when my CRS started crashing and it just infected another one of my tanks and I ended up losing both of them. If it is some bacterial or viral infection you will just spread it by moving them.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
+1 Awful situation. Shrimp can live in tupperware as a temp solution, but usually it's a last resort while getting things figured out. However, in your case, it may be best to tansfer to a tupperware, do a 100% water change to get params correct, and then drip acclimate them back to the tank.

As said, it's a last resort, but better than losing all shrimp.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The last time I cleaned both filter pad in HOB at the same time,
the TDS short up and killed 1/3 off my CRS.
I change water a little over time to slowly lower the TDS back to its should be to stabilized the dead.
Some of them thought to be dead came back alive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shou, thank you for the info. So each you change just little water? So you think the TDS may be the issue? As mentioned, I may still my shrimps to another tank with very few shrimps...once the troublesome tank is stable.

Thank you very much for all your info.

Takami Popy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shou, thank you for the info. So each you change just little water? So you think the TDS may be the issue? As mentioned, I may still my shrimps to another tank with very few shrimps...once the troublesome tank is stable.

Thank you very much for all your info.

Takami Popy
I will not put the shrimps to another tank without the reading of the tank TDS. Shrimps can not handle quick TDS change.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So, I think you received some great advice.
A few things to point out. I personally think it is a bacterial infection myself...for no other reason than this is what always seems to happen...First a shrimp or two die, then more and finally there is a full blown epidemic. Another possibility that also screams possible is this:
I saw you mention that it was an ADA tank. They have no lids generally and I have had friends with normal tanks that had no lid have their colonies collapse from an air born chemical/toxin. One person had their sister spray Aerosol Lysol in his room and WHAM...the second had a fire next door and the smoke came through the window and had some kind of toxin and crashed their tanks.

If it is a bacterial infection, maracyn II has been said to work wonders if you can find it. I would inspect the shrimp very closely. Often times there are clues like, broken or thick antennae, broken legs, cloudy flesh etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have also had this problem with a 20L tank. All of my parameters were spot on though. TDS at 130. GH 5, KH 0-1, PH 6.8, Temp 73, and no NO3. I figured out my problem though. It was my water changes. I since reduced the frequency of water changes and when i do a water change it is only about 15-20% and It takes about 5-6 hours to drip in the new water. I know others are able to just throw new water in every week or 2 times a week, but my mischling tank just doesn't like that change so that is what i have adjusted to and i haven't had a death in 5 months. Of which i have done about 3 water changes. And i have tons of babies, berried, and happy shrimp. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait a minute... orhunterfisher.... Let me tell you...

I think here is the deal. My tank is in my office which a windows facing my neighbor. And I remember my neighbor, so coincident..., they had their contractor broke down their side wall facing my office...and they just do some some patching and painting...

So my question is that... would "those smell" from next door, even my windows is closed which I could smell it little, would it be the source killing my shrimps? I think it may be the reason...again...my tank has been doing so well until just last Thursday...and so in time the contractors were repatching/painting their wall...

Do you think buying a lit would be able to protect the tank better?

No matter what, thank you very much for all your input!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I'm with raven. Pull shrimp out, do 100% water change in tank, then drip acclimate shrimp back into tank. A lid on the tank could help in the future but with such a heavy construction-chemical cloud that hit you who knows if it would have helped in this case.

Also be sure your water changes match the tank perfectly. I personally, in my mischling/tb tank, have not done a water change in 3 months. I just top it off with ro and they are breeding like crazy. Everyone needs to find their own rhythm.

Sent from my IPad using magic

·
Registered
219 Posts
As you can see bye the three posts above that, yes, I absolutely believe chemicals/toxins could have come through...that is why i mentioned it in the first place. The way I work is this...ALL winter long I use glass lids on all my tanks, then sometime in the next month or so I will remove the tank tops but leave them in between tanks in case I need to cover them all (18) real quick to do some work in the room. My problem is that is summer they are in a non a.c. room so I need to remove tanks tops to have a fan blow on them. I am very cautious about what I do around this room during the summer months when the lids are off. IF your office is climate controlled year round I would definitely get a lid if possible. You would be shocked how often people randomly feel like they need to put their hands in your tank or feed your shrimp or...do office "work" nearby.
As for treatment, a water change is a must. I would not remove the shrimp myself however. I feel that the added stress may be detrimental. Just add carbon to your filter, do several water changes over the next week (maybe 2 at 20%) and one more after that...leave the carbon in for four days or so and then remove it. Also, add some montmorillonite clay (~1/8 teaspoon) directly into the filter outflow. Good luck:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.