The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pseudomugil luminatus has a very swollen large stomach. At first I assumed it was a gravid female, but they're male. They swim close to the surface and their head seems to be pointed more upward, creating an odd arch in their back. The reason I ask if this is dropsy is I don't see any pineconing but maybe this is because they are a small fish with small scales?

I do a 50% water change every week, the next one being tomorrow (but I can move it up to today if need be).

Had a hard time trying to get any clear pictures. I'll have to test to get the parameters. Tank's been established since early this year, and the fish have been in there since March.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I'm not seeing any pineconing, I'm hoping it's just constipation. I would hate to euthanize a fish just because he was backed up. I didn't move him to a hospital tank yet but I do have one ready now. I fed tiny bits of blanched peas to the fishes (endlers and dwarf rainbowfish) and am skipping a day feeding them their regular food.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wasn't any better today. Still swollen with a red line running along his belly like he might split open... Could see some scales pineconing today. I moved him to the hospital tank. Have to figure out how to get antibiotics, though I sadly don't think he'll last that long; might have to euthanize him...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts