The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, as in the title, I have arrived home from a 2 week vacation to find that the whole lighting system on my planted tall tank has died . The tubes, the power pack are all dead. Now its taken me a LONG time to grow my plants in this tank and Im gutted. So I need help please
1) I have nothing other than a 60watt desk lamp to use over tank
2) I have credit card -need help replacing light system :)

originally I had 2 x 17watt T8 lights with a rubbish CO2 disposable can.
Now I have nothing. So should I consider upgrading? This tank is 30 inches high and has been a giant pain in the backside to grow anything - but patience has taught me that things will happen in their own time. If I dont wish to go over to T5HO is there something in between? Like something more powerful than these T8 Florasun tubes? Cant afford to replace lights and add a whole new CO2 system.
Please remember Im a girl, with limited DIY skills and live in UK...

Can anyone direct me in the right direction please? Need to be using this credit card NOW before all my hardwork comes undone

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
In my opinion a 30 inch high tank is best lighted with T5HO lights. The number of bulbs depends on whether you want low light, slow growth, possibly with no CO2, or you want to use CO2, and get some faster growth. For the latter a pair of T5HO bulbs close together will do it. If the tank is more than 18 inches front to back depth, you can get more uniform lighting by using two of those two bulb lights, spaced a foot or so apart.

If you weren't a girl, I would suggest AH Supply bright light PC light kits.:D I know AH Supply ships to other countries. Those would give you less light, but use more electric power doing it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi Lisa

Stupid question but have you checked the fuse in the plug?

If the whole lot need replacing then search for HAGEN GLO T5 HO TWIN LIGHT STARTER 2 X 24W then some reflectors and bulbs, the whole lot should be under £100. the starter can be found for around £35 the bulbs £20 each (get a powerglo and a Lifeglo) reflectors around £10 each.
if you need help finding stuff just shout out.
those 24W bulbs are 24" long just so you can work out where to place then just add a couple of inches for the end caps when measuring the underside of the lid.

Robert

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lisa

Stupid question but have you checked the fuse in the plug?

If the whole lot need replacing then search for HAGEN GLO T5 HO TWIN LIGHT STARTER 2 X 24W then some reflectors and bulbs, the whole lot should be under £100. the starter can be found for around £35 the bulbs £20 each (get a powerglo and a Lifeglo) reflectors around £10 each.
if you need help finding stuff just shout out.
those 24W bulbs are 24" long just so you can work out where to place then just add a couple of inches for the end caps when measuring the underside of the lid.

Robert
thanks :) I will def be giving you a shout. The powerpack is dangerous. Think it fell off a hook at the back of the cabinet and has been 'hanging' loose. All the wires are pulled out the top and casing is cracked. Tubes were on their way out anway so may as well replace the lot. This on top of having a major flood with the fluval cannister!! Flooded the entire lounge and destroyed all the carpet and TV and Skybox! One more thing and Im tempted to throw in the towel I swear :(

Thanks Hoppy. Really havent the money to invest in CO2 at the moment, which is why Im almost tempted to replace the T8 system. Im in two minds....love my plants but have had one disaster after another lately, all of which has hit the finances hard :( Stupid Q but will my plants die off if I cant get any lights before next weekend? The tank is very dark without any natural lighting as its in a corner where theres no windows...

·
Registered
528 Posts
The tank is very dark without any natural lighting as its in a corner where theres no windows...
Lisa

If the room is lit with natural daylight it should be fine for a while.
As before shout if you need anything.:icon_smil
I have just changed out my bulbs, you are welcome to the old ones if that helps you out (they are 24W T5HO 10K) they are still good for at least a year or more.
PM/Email me and i will post them to you ASAP
Sorry to hear about the flood :(
What leaked on the filter? was it the filter can itself or a burst pipe?

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts