The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 36w 7600k AH kit on a 20H in a fixture from a 10g. I also have a 15w strip light in the fixture originally on the 20H. Not enough light, 6700k is too yellow, and coverage sux with this bulb on a 20g tank.

I want to gut the fixtures and upgrade to a 55w in the 20g fixture and put the 15w bulb/ballast back into the 10g housing. that would be like 70w or 3.5wpg. hope that made sense.

I'm going to use a 55w bulb (either AH's 7,800 or this 9325k light: http://lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchan...=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=F55BX-AR-FS ) using the reflector from the 36w bulb (I'll lose a little light, but not much...right now the reflector is 'too big' for the 36w bulb and will be slightly 'too short' for the 55w bulb... about an inch of the bulb). Is the ballast from the 36w ok or do i need a stronger one? the ah and lightbulbsdirect.com bulbs are compatible with the bulb housing (the pins)? is there a cheaper way of upgrading this to get about 3.5 wpg?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Depends on the manufacture of the bulb, etc...there are both square and straight pins for 36w and 55w bulbs. Just make sure you buy the right endcaps or the right bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts