The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a 29 gallon Eclipse with a 65 watt retrofit ballast since around 2005 maybe? It had finally pooped out (the Marineland hood is falling apart).

i was looking at the Finnex fugeray. I have not been keeping up with lighting in a few years. the deep 29 gallon makes high light plants hard to keep with most lighting. I do not want metal halides.

It seems LEDs are the way to go now but Im looking at what might be my best bang for the buck. I mostly keep crypts and low to mid level plants, occasionally swords and similar.

Any suggestions for a 29 gallon tank? I can go without a lid, or a hood. Im open to any of them as the hood is falling apart from heat and light. It all needs replacing. I do have a canister filter underneath so i dont need to worry about filters or whatnot in the hood being replaced.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Finnex fugeray will have trouble with the 29g height. You would be better of with the finnex ray2 if you go with finnex

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a used Finnex cheap so ill try that. im looking forward to getting set up and running again. Ive been remodeling and took down all my tanks. I no longer have a fishroom but I do have a tank left.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had the Finnex Ray II set up for a couple weeks now I guess. I only have cryptocorynes in the tank now. I added staurogyne and it is not declining so it must be okay.

I don't have a way to measure the light but it looks like it is enough light for low to medium. For the 29 gallon I don't know that it is overpowering. I got mine used off of Amazon for $70 or so. So far so good. I am running it without a glass and have some evaporation but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have had the Finnex Ray II set up for a couple weeks now I guess. I only have cryptocorynes in the tank now. I added staurogyne and it is not declining so it must be okay.

I don't have a way to measure the light but it looks like it is enough light for low to medium. For the 29 gallon I don't know that it is overpowering. I got mine used off of Amazon for $70 or so. So far so good. I am running it without a glass and have some evaporation but that is to be expected.
Sounds good. If you ever need more light you could add another Finnex R2 or even 2 more since they are so narrow. Not that you would, but you could if you wanted to try super high light plants.

Pictures!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts