The Planted Tank Forum banner

Upgrading lighting

820 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ianiwane 
#1 ·
I'll be picking up a slightly used light: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?&infoParam.itemKey=204873 , also included are 2 extra 50/50 bulbs. What will this be good for growing w/out CO2? I'm planning to place it on a 30 long shrimp and dwarf crayfish tank. Current plants are java moss & ferns, Najas, and duckweed running amok. Substrate is a thin layer of gravel mixed with crushed coral to maintain pH and hardness for the inverts. Filtration is 2 air-driven double sponge filters.

#2 ·
Link doesn't work....but assuming it's not 3+watts per gallon, that should be more than enough light for the current plants in there. You could probably use a regular NO strip light for java ferns and moss (and najas).

#3 ·
I fixed the link, actually should be around 4-4.5 w/g total. The Najas is growing with the current lighting, but not as compactly as I'd like. The current setup is 3 separate strip lights, 2 are 30", 1 is 24". Doesn't look good with the 24" light in front of the strip lights.

#4 ·
There will likely be algae issues with that much light and no CO2. But then again, it is a cherry shrimp tank :)

I suspect if you want the najas to grow more compactly, the problem is more likely increasing the CO2 to match you lighting rather than more lighting though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.