The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 litre aquarium and now wat to upgrade to a 180 litre. I am looking at the Juwel 180 Vision. It comes with 2 x 35 w T5 bulbs.

I am looking to make it a planted tank. I have been reading numerous articles on the web and I keep coming across the WPG rule. The standard light fitting on the Juwel aquarium (and most aquariums) is not enough for growing plants. Ideally I was looking to get about 2.5 wpg.

What can I do? I want to keep the original flat canopy on the tank I dont want to use overhead lighting. Is there anything I can add to the existing hood?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unless the tank is unusually deep, two full length T5s will grow most plants very well.
Unfortunately the juwel T5s are not standard length tubes (not in England anyway) so you will be stuck with their own brand replacements tubes. Nothing wrong with the Juwel tubes apart from cost, 35w Juwel tube £18-22.00 standard 39w tube from £2 - 8.00.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that advice. I have a choice of 3 bulbs made for the light unit. They are:

Day 9000K 35w
Nature 4100K 35w
Colour 6800k 35w

Which bulb would be best for plants? I have read that plants use the Red spectrum. Which bulb would be best. Should I combine two different bulbs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Plants might not be as particular as humans when it comes around to light spectrum's!
Try a 6800 & one of the others to match your eye, personally I would go for the 9000k.
You can add dawn & dusk with low voltage LEDs if you want.
I have a mix of 65s & 78s lighting my lounge tank but find the colour a little stark durring the winter evenings so I have some mellow blue LEDs for the last two hours as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.