The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my lighting from a 11watt fluorescent lamp to a 6w LED lamp(the equivalent of a 15watt fluorescent).Why?
-leds give off less heat=more stable temp/less water evaporation
-I am trying to make a jungle style aquarium and have some floating plants too and I am worried about the all the plants not getting enough light.
My tank is only 7 gallons so I would have a bit over 2watts per gallon. Is that too much light for a low tech tank? I don't use ferts, much less CO2 so is the light too strong for my setup? I would consider adding some root tabs and MAYBE some liquid CO2 but later down the road(right now I only intend to put some iron root tabs for my Crypt). Should I just stick with what I have now?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I tend to think in old school measurements, so 60 watts would be in incandescent lumens. I'm from a time period where 10 gallon tanks used to come with 2, 30 watt tube style incandescent bulbs in their hood.

Aren't 11 watt CFL's replacements for 60 watt incandescent lights?

If you are looking for a direct replacement bulb in similar lumens ( somewhere near 800~950 lumens. ) There's a few of deals on Amazon for multi packs of A19 style 5000K LED bulbs. TCP LA1050KND6 LED A19 - 60 Watt Equivalent Daylight (5000K) Light Bulb - 6 Pack - - Amazon.com

This is an A19 type bulb, pretty standard desk and reading light type.
but would look like this..

Which is a 10 watt LED equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent. I use this term because shopping for these lights, you are going to encounter the incandescent wattage as a measure of their output. They often come in soft white, 2700K and Bright white 4000K, but for good plant growth, I would think would be the 5000K daylight bulbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.