The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes. I know? Who even uses t12 anymore? This guy has. Even uses dinosaur equipment from the 80ies. :grin2: But the time to upgrade is long overdue. I’ve been looking at alot of products but still am honesty lost in the number of products out there and looking for recommendations. I’ve not used LEDs much before in growing ANYTHING, just workshop stuff, props, etc….have always used fluorescent tubes for anything living, so I’m a little out of my depth, but, light is light.

What I’m aiming for is something with adjustable lighting output, a digital day/night timer and that can be hung from my ceiling. The tank in question is a 48in and 55 gallons and has/will have above water features and plantings; Bromeliads, tillandsia, alocasia, few ferns, mosses and other marginal and emmersed(?) type plants and well as strictly aquatic plants, which right now most consist of java ferns, some hydro, bulbitus and a few others. There are also some pretty dark spots in the tank.

The LED will also need to supply light to a number of tropical potted houseplants in the immediate vicinity of the tank, and as there are varying levels of height to the above water features and surrounding house plants I kind of want several LED panels probably somewhere around 24”in in length, maybe 2-4 of them, eventually. I’ve sorta had an eye on the Marineland Advanced LED Strip, but since it’s a pretty basic brand, pretty expensive and doesn’t seem to have high light output and other features I’m not sure its at all worth its bang for my buck.

Any help or recommendations would be helpful. 

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm biased but I'm a big fan of Aquaray GroBEAM LED lights. Well made quality equipment and they have a five year warranty. They have light bars but they also have.. whatever you call it.. the square ones that you can suspend. Might be worth checking out and I can say that I'm very, very happy with mine. Add one of their controllers and you should get the flexibility to you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
There are a number of "money is no object" choices..
Orphek
Radion XR15 gen 4 Freshwater
sbreef freshwater (probably the cheapest short of "black box" eek bay China )
Aquaticlife Halo
DSunY
Most smaller than 24" but lots of punch and control-ability..

Aquaray mentioned above and Kessil.

Probably a few more here and there..

most smaller and cheaper (well not always) aquarium lights have wide angle emitters so a lot of dropoff w/ height..
all the above are mostly "broad spectrum" and not hort.
state of the art example:
Radion XR15 FW G4 Pro Freshwater LED Light fixture - Ecotech Marine - Bulk Reef Supply

but cost you over a grand for 3.. but would easily suit your needs afaict.. but need more info on total sq footage and heights..

Doing away w/ control you can get large LED "spots" or floods for 1/10 the cost..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a number of "money is no object" choices..
Orphek
Radion XR15 gen 4 Freshwater
sbreef freshwater (probably the cheapest short of "black box" eek bay China )
Aquaticlife Halo
DSunY
Most smaller than 24" but lots of punch and control-ability..

Aquaray mentioned above and Kessil.

Probably a few more here and there..

most smaller and cheaper (well not always) aquarium lights have wide angle emitters so a lot of dropoff w/ height..
all the above are mostly "broad spectrum" and not hort.
state of the art example:
Radion XR15 FW G4 Pro Freshwater LED Light fixture - Ecotech Marine - Bulk Reef Supply

but cost you over a grand for 3.. but would easily suit your needs afaict.. but need more info on total sq footage and heights..

Doing away w/ control you can get large LED "spots" or floods for 1/10 the cost..

Those are mostly way out of my prices range. I'm looking to spend between $70-$120 per panel (18-36 inches), I'm not looking for a "spot" like fixture, I'm not totally against it. The aquaray seem like a possible choice maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does an else have some cheaper, like like low to mid range, suggestions? Most of these seem high range and way out of my budget.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does an else have some cheaper, like like low to mid range, suggestions? Most of these seem high range and way out of my budget.
Sounds like you might want to look at Finnex or Beamswork fixtures- they don't come with all of the features you mentioned, though. Finnex, for instance, does not have a hanging option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you might want to look at Finnex or Beamswork fixtures- they don't come with all of the features you mentioned, though. Finnex, for instance, does not have a hanging option.
Looked at Finnex alot, the 24/7+ SE is nice and has red spectrum leds which I'd really like for growth but some many bells and whistles that I dont care for and really drive the price up. The Stringray seems great too but still seems over priced for not including red spectrum leds, no dimmer or timer. Plus it doesn't seem like it produces alot of light? At this point, if the led panel doesn't come with hanging options I'll figure out a way to hang it. haha.

I take could take a better look at beamworks however.

I'm half tempted by now to say screw it, buy my own LEDs and parts, get a Arduino Uno or something and make my own damn one haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts