The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so I have just upgraded my filter unexpectedly (I should not be allowed to go to the LFS just to "browse"). Anyhow, now I have an Eheim 2211 that's set up and running with some bio media from my old filter. I have them both running currently so my questions are...

1) how long should I run both until I can remove my old tetra HOB without ruining my nitrogen cycle

2) where should I place the inflow and outflow to optimize my co2 diffusion.

3) where should I place my diffuser in relation to the inflow and outflow

4) you all are the best for always helping out

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Will do my best to answer your questions;
1) I usually run a new filter 3-4 weeks to allow for new beneficial bacteria (BB) to form on the new biomedia. Having some biomedia from the old filter helps alot but I would not go less than 2 weeks.
2) In my tanks, I put the inflow at a back corner, lets say back left. The the inflow is installed on the back right (assuming the long side of the tank is running left to right). If you ar using a spraybar, all the better. This seems to get the water to flow from the spray bar, across the plants, then to the other side/corner. I also typically add a circulation fan to help keep things moving around.
3) If you are using an in-tank diffuser, then I would put it below the spraybar hoping the incoming water will pick up the co2 and move it around.
4) Thank-you (assuming my responses are correct, lol)

·
Registered
618 Posts
ok guys so I have just upgraded my filter unexpectedly (I should not be allowed to go to the LFS just to "browse"). Anyhow, now I have an Eheim 2211 that's set up and running with some bio media from my old filter. I have them both running currently so my questions are...

1) how long should I run both until I can remove my old tetra HOB without ruining my nitrogen cycle

give it at least a minimum of a month to get some good BB built up in the filter..even if using old media in the new filter gives it some times to build up all inside there..

2) where should I place the inflow and outflow to optimize my co2 diffusion.

how I have it on my tank is inflow one side of the tank outflow on the other side of the tank with a inline diffuser on the outflow.. but if you dont have a inline diffuser then put what ever you have under the outflow so it gets hit by the water and pushed out into the tank itself..

3) where should I place my diffuser in relation to the inflow and outflow

pretty much answered above...would highly suggest on buying a inline diffuser...can get one off of ebay its worth it!!

4) you all are the best for always helping out

look above in your questions

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.