The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so i just picked up a 110 gallon tank the dimensions are 60"x18"x24". I will basically be transferring everything from my 56g column tank. I currently run pressurized Co2, pool filter sand, dose regularly, and 1 30" finnex planted +. So basically id like to do a better substrate and get an LED light the would qualify as medium-high light. I know a minimum of 50 par is needed but i honeslty just kinda want an "expert" to tell me what would be the best to get. I am working with a budget here and most of it depends on how much i get for the 56g column. So what would be the best substrate to get for the best price as well as an LED light? Or i could get another 30" finnex planted plus LED to match. I would like to go cheap but ive learnes my lesson from that in the past, cause i end up buying the better stuff in the end. So something that will last and is atba reasonable price. Thanks guys for all the support.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
There are a lot of threads about all the different substrates.

I happen to like Safe-T-Sorb for soft water tanks. It is lighter than PFS, so is just a bit harder to plant in (gotta sink the plants well down into it). Very high CEC. Nice color. Turface is a similar product, and is available in several colors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im looking up the safe t sorb and im intruged. It seems to be somewhat the same thing at fluorite. Just a baked clay but as with flourite i had some trouble planting plants in it but i guess if i use enough of it it should be fine. I think i may give this stuff a go

One thing im worried about is PH. Out of the tap here in socal its around 8.0 granted i would love a lower ph but how far will it drop it and will it actually be stable?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
One thing im worried about is PH. Out of the tap here in socal its around 8.0 granted i would love a lower ph but how far will it drop it and will it actually be stable?

Pre-charge the sts. There is a thread on here about a pre-charge recipe. I will see if I can dig it up and post it for you.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8895434-post23.html

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
On a budget I'd go with one of the Beamswork 60" units. Am not familiar enough with them to be able to tell you which one is appropriate but that's the best way to get a 60" LED. Use that for your main lighting period and use the Finnex in front on 24/7 mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for the price of 1 of the beamsworks 60" i could probably get a 30" finnex planted plus for the same if not cheaper and just run 2 lights. But then again that would probably only qualify as medium light

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah so frustrating how expensive planted substrate is. Especially when i need enough for a 110 gallon tank! Wish i could find a cheap alternative in black or a darker color

Is safe t sorb the best option if im wanting a dark brown natural colored substrate but while keeping it cheap?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea ive been looking into that, i just really like the natural look and im not sure how ill feel about the black sand...ideally id like a dark brown color. Ive been considering using safe t sorb but just not sure yet....also maybe one of the pond plant substrates

How would you guys feel about decomposed granite as a substrate? Im looking into landscape supply companies and i can get this stuff pretty cheap

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
SafeTSorb is even cheaper and about the same color. You need to mail order STS in southern California but it is super cheap even so. You would need to screen decomposed granite as it has lots of fine stuff. I suspect it would be extremely frustrating to work with.

Might check agricultural supply places for the field conditioning stuff as it comes in more colors. It's what Aquariumplants.com sells in buckets for much more. Turface is one and Champion Brown Pro League looks nice, there are others.

I only put 7 bags of Amazonia in my 2x2x6' tank as I used the old gravel/STS to shore it up at the ~4" at the back to 1/2" at the front with an average depth of 2". It's out of stock at adana.com but do price it as it may not be as far out of line with other planted tank substrates as it seems off hand. It was still quite a splurge for me but I was tired of the confetti appearance of particles that were too large.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would not use DG in an aquarium. If you are looking into rock yards you could look for fine gravel without the dust.
Look at irrigation stores, too. Several of them carry Turface. This is the same as Safe-T-Sorb, but is available in different colors. I have not priced it lately.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying 150lbs of used eco completed black/ ada amazonia mix for $50. Not bad, im quite hopeful for this substrate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts