The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 48 gallon very heavily planted tank that has done amazing on low light with lots of sum. I just bought some great new lights (Coralife Aqualight Double Compact w/ two 96 watt 6,700°K bulbs) YAY me!

However, I got my lights today and I still haven't decided on CO2 a method. I had done fine with Excel only, but I know full well that is not going to cut it with my new lights.

I was going to be building a DIY CO2 system tomorrow, and I likely still will. However. I want to hear about the best of the best that everyone has every tried. So, please help me decide tell me what you tried that you love, or what you would love to try if you could.

Thanks!

Lori Ann

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The problem with DYI is consistancy. I am not talking about paintgun co2 method, I am talking about suger, water, and yeast DIY.

I would suggest 2 reactors, made 5 days apart. When 1 is going out, the other is still producing.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
With that size tank, pressurized CO2 is recommended. But given your location, I'm guessing that getting a CO2 cylinder filled might be a bit of a challenge. Or that you have another good reason for going with DIY at this time.

I used this on my 46G, high light, heavily planted:

1 gallon apple juice jug
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. Fleishmann's Active Dry yeast (not the bread machine or rapid rise version)
2 tsp. baking soda
Fill with tepid water 3" below cap, shake well

This worked great as long as I changed the mix every week like clockwork. I tried injecting the CO2 into both my canister filter and Aquaclear HOB. Though the canister predictably performed better, the HOB wasn't far behind.

Really, I should have used two containers with a slower recipe in each, and changed them out on a staggered basis for better CO2 stability. However, this was only intended as a temporary setup. Although I ended up using it much longer than I expected, I never actually had any problems as a result of the single bottle setup; so never bothered to upgrade it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would just try to save up for a decent 5lb CO2 setup. You can usually get a good used one for a good price off this forum like I did. You do not want to have to deal with making this yeast setup every week. I have used Co2 setup now for like 4 weeks and it was well worth the $225. Just save your money and get a C02 setup, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I personally would go with a paintball co2 tank setup since it seems you are probably in he mood to save some cash. You can get the whole thing done for under $60 and it works like a charm. Only downfall is you have to get it refilled more often, but refills are cheaper as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I was going with DIY simply because it sound like buying a system was not really needed, and I didn't want to be wasteful if it was not a big difference. I'm definitely more one to spend extra for convenience. Which is kinda of ironic since nothing is convenient to get up here.

I'm not sure if pressurized CO2 systems are pretty much the same, other than size?

I spent a small fortune having these lights shipped up here, not to mention all the plants over the years. Anyhow, point being I'm relatively confident that I could order anything I needed once I decide on what that is.

Also, I am not above buying a used system either.

What kind of guidelines do you suggest in looking for a pressurized CO2 system? With the new lights already set-up how long do I have to shop around before I risk a real algae problem? Or should I just compile a DIY as a stop-gap?

Thanks again, I'm really, really excited. I read a statistic the other day that about 80% of all aquarium hobbyist quit within two years. I've had this tank going for 7 years now and I just find it thrilling. (lol, I really do)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts