The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a new 29gal setup and am trying to figure out if I made the right call with buying a Finnex Stingray over the Planted+. I want to go low-tech and have no interest in running pressurized CO2, but I've read a lot of conflicting info about what would really constitute sufficient light for a tank this size (esp considering it's 18 inches high, although 2-3 inches of that is substrate).

Some background info:

-The tank has been planted and running for a little over 3 weeks. Added 5 black neons a few days after the plants, along with TSS, and 2 weeks after that added cardinal tetras plus one pearl gourami. Water parameters have been consistently good, no nitrates yet though. I'm checking water again today and doing a 25% water change if anything looks off.

-Plants: wisteria, java fern, crypt spiralis, cardinal plant, moss ball, one Kleiner Prinz sword, a bit of anacharis and pennywort. Bacopa C. on the way this week because most of the anacharis melted and I'm just floating a few of the green tips to help them re-grow, so still need a background plant on the righthand side.

-Eco-Complete substrate that was VERY cloudy at first. I've washed all my filter media in tank water about a hundred times and replaced the carbon with purigen which finally cleared the tank a couple weeks ago.

-Filter is Aquaclear 50. Lighting is one Finnex Stingray.

So I guess my question is...my plants are growing a bit, but I've also had some pretty spectacular melting (esp. the anacharis and crypts), the amazon sword is doing absolutely nothing, the wisteria doesn't seem to be changing leaf form from the emersed lobes it came with to more ferny growth, plus I have brown diatoms. I'm wondering if a stronger light (in the form of a second Stingray or replacing with one Planted +) is the way to go? Or do I just need to be patient? (probably...)

I've attached some pics. Just FYI, I'm planning on trimming the dead lower stems/leaves off the wisteria on the right and then replanting it over on the left to join the other wisteria. I'll put the bacopa on the righthand side of the tank in its place. Thinking about adding a black background as well if it's possible now that the tank is all set up...may not be able to do that though because it so close to the wall.

I would greatly appreciate people's perspectives on this! I have received a lot of valuable advice from this forum and hopefully some day when I get a handle on things I can pay it forward...

Thanks in advance

H.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there--thanks for your input...That's exactly my dilemma--Stingray seems marginal while Planted + seems like too much light. That's good info about the 24/7 though...I didn't know about that. I'll give the current setup a tad more time. Maybe someone else will chime in on the thread about the 18 inch high issue...someone else probably has tried the Stingray at some point with a higher tank...but maybe not! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.