The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soo four of my original six RCS have died and I don't know why. Everything else in the tank is doing fine.

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
20ppm nitrate
GH 8
KH 4
temp 73F

They are just dropping dead. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I didn't do the test right, my GH is 140ppm. So it is okay then? I can't think of anything else that would be hurting them.My KH is 67ppm. I am going to check the nitrate next but it was 5ppm a couple days ago. blergh

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Your parameters all sound fine. Though Nitrate is always best at lower levels, even that's not enough to cause them to kick the bucket, I don't think.

How old are the shrimp that have died?

It's possible the cloudiness is a result of an infection.

Have you done anything to the tank lately? Rescaped? Added livestock?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are definitely adults but I've only had them for 6 days so they shouldn't be super old. I did move some plants around last week and one shrimp died after that. None have died since..they just look near death. Last night one of them kept kind of like..jumping? like popcorn almost and then laying upside down like he was dead. Today he is still popping around but hasn't just plopped over on his back. I added the CPD and shrimp at the same time and they came from the same tank at the petstore though I drip acclimated them in different containers. I've seen one shrimp molt since I've gotten them and she's the one that looks the healthiest right now. I dunno, I am just worried!

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
If you experienced a death while rescaping, it's possible you released toxins into the water column.

Have you tried doing a water change?

Did you get the shrimp from a fellow hobbyist or from a store? If you got them from a hobbyist, reach out to see if they've had any bacterial infection issues. If from a store, you could probably do the same.

If you could post photos of the shrimp, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ok, so you've had them for 6 days and in those 6 days you've done a rescape and a 20% water change nevermind the fact their parameters changed when they come from the LFS to reside in your tank? They are probably stressing to death. Leave the tank alone and let them settle in. They can change colors when going from one parameter to the next. As well as surroundings. I put some supreme and PFRs in a tank with white sand and many of them have lost a ton of their color whereas they were solid and dark in their last tank with black substrate. Lots of factors can cause this but for now it sounds like you are doing too much and stress can definitely cause loss of color.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They haven't lost color though lol..they were all actually really dull like ghost shrimp when I got them and now they are all bright red but two of them are opaque red which doesn't seem good. But you're right they might be too stressed, I will try to leave them alone. I keep getting up in the middle of the night to turn the light on and stare at them lol.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You say it looks too opaque. Do you mean cloudy? Or do you mean the color is too solid? Opaque is good, cloudy is not. The more opaque the color the higher quality the RCS. Painted Fire Reds are solid red with no transparent areas...thus high grade RCS. The one that's flinging himself about sounds like he is going through a bad molt especially if he lays on his back. You're probably going to lose that one. If they are coloring up then they are settling in, but you still need to give them time to adjust. I don't know what's in Seachem Flourish Comprehensive but make sure you aren't dosing copper into the tank. Copper is deadly to invertebrates. Trace amounts are fine but you have to be real careful with anything containing copper (including fish foods you may be feeding the CPDs).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Flourish Comprehensive does have trace amounts of copper so I only dose two times a week now. They aren't cloudy just opaque...I just googled and yeah they do look like fire reds but they aren't bright darker red like some of the pictures and their legs are still clear. Yeah I just checked the flake food ingredients and it has copper sulfate. balls.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yeah trace amounts won't hurt them and are actually needed by them. It's heavier sources of copper you want to be mindful of. But since you're worried about them being opaque, that's a non issue:) I just read it as 'cloudy' for some reason. As for the death and possible other death, that's really to be expected anytime you introduce them into a new environment. Sometimes you luck out with no deaths but sometimes they just die. I wouldn't sweat it too much:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I dose flourish comp. in my tank and havent had any problems.

Could you be talking about the difference between males and females? Females are more opaque/darker colored than males. Males are more translucent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.