The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wondered into the LFS we have here and spotted a nice metal frame Metaframe turtle tank, about 12Lx12Wx3"H.

"How much?"
"5$?"

Off I went.

Balled up some weeds and will keep an eye and get a pic later.
Neat little tank actually.
Scared to add fish, the dang thing can dry up in less than 4-5 days here.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
582 Posts
Can't wait to see pics! I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon MetaFrames waiting to be reglassed and resealed. Got them both for free. =)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Pics Please!

·
Registered
82 Posts
good ole metalframe tanks...loved them tanks back in the 60's.even though everyone i had the sealant was oozing from every which direction.who can forget the shiny hoods many of them came with.ahh the good old days:icon_cry: allwet..

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This a redwood burl that has never seen soil. the moss overtook the burl about 1 year ago, there are 3 types of mosses I collected in Del Norte county CA.

This is also classified as a bonsai tree.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Good job bumping a 5 year old thread :icon_lol: Haha, just being sarcastic.

Looks good. The tank looks neat also. What plant is that?

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good job bumping a 5 year old thread :icon_lol: Haha, just being sarcastic.

Looks good. The tank looks neat also. What plant is that?
# native species of moss and then a Redwood tree is what you see most of, Sequoia sempervirens

They do get big, but pictures can never convey their majesty.

These are trees one must see in person.

Yes, I forgot to take the picture, but the burl developed nicely and the leaves got a little toasted from the freeze, but it was looking really nice about 1 year ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would love to do something similar to this! Is there a need for water movement or any kind of filtration other than what the plants provide? How do you keep the water from getting stagnant? Any direction you could provide would be awesome. Or, you could just point me in the right direction to find similar information!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to do something similar to this! Is there a need for water movement or any kind of filtration other than what the plants provide? How do you keep the water from getting stagnant? Any direction you could provide would be awesome. Or, you could just point me in the right direction to find similar information!!

Thanks!
They have long sold burl pieces in water as a novelty at the redwood shops up along the coast here. Maybe 1 in 20 of them take root(this one has).

There's no filter etc, just the plants and moss. The water is shallow, maybe 1" at most and then I change or add water for evaporation, the tank sits outside most of the year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.