The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Earlier I had asked the question about Apistos Cockatoos and adding males to my tank. Here is the update:

The seller on Ebay sent me 5 . I didn't order 5, but that's what he sent. I offered to pay for the extras and he said, "nope, all good". So, I currently have 4 Bolivian Rams, and 5 male Triple Red Apistos Cockatoos in my 36 planted tank. I did ask the seller on Ebay to send me juvies so they are smaller, but still colorful.

Other than the Rams charging at each other once and awhile like they have always done, all is well. There have been zero problems and as far as I can tell, no lines are being drawn for territory. Everyone just swims together. The rowdy ones in the tank are still the YoYos.

I'll let you know if this changes
D

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yay!! Glad to hear the update... A lot of times sellers will send extra "just an case". Plus when you're breeding and can't 100% tell the sexes it's easier to send a surplus so the buyer will hopefully get the set they hoped for. It's REALLY easy to mistake the sexes of juvenile apisto.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm really happy with my stock now. I have some rasboras and black neons that school nicely too. I managed to get some pictures on my phone so I'll try to post them here later.

Here is a picture of one of them.
Apisto Cockatoo.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of my tank. I've since added some Alternanthera Reineckii to the left corner.
Tank 42221.jpg
Tank 42221.jpg

Love it!! Still looks like a juvenile but the colors are definitely doing good already!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks!! The picture that I just posted of my tank was before I got them. They're very active.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That is a nice looking fish - the colours for cockatoo are all over the place despite similar names. One thing is you should watch them very closely when they reach sexual maturity as there might be some issues and you might have to remove a few. They can be a bit more bullish for territory (among themselves) than rams but it comes down to individual fishes. Also raising them together without females might improve your chances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a nice looking fish - the colours for cockatoo are all over the place despite similar names. One thing is you should watch them very closely when they reach sexual maturity as there might be some issues and you might have to remove a few. They can be a bit more bullish for territory (among themselves) than rams but it comes down to individual fishes. Also raising them together without females might improve your chances.
Thanks Jake. I watch my tank every day, and if I see some problems developing I can rehome them at the LFS. The owner has started carrying different varieties of dwarf cichlids and other community fish, he used to mostly carry African cichlids. I've noticed that there are a couple that are more shy than the others and I'll watch them to see if they get bullied.

I love it!! Nice job!!!
Thanks! It actually looks better now. The water is crystal clear and the background plants have grown quite a bit since this picture.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good looking fish. Do you have by any chance the seller info on ebay?
Here is the link for the fish that I bought. Here is the seller's contact info as well:
Seller information
alpenglow007 (253 )
98% Positive feedback

Here is the link for the fish that I bought. Here is the seller's contact info as well:
Seller information
alpenglow007 (253 )
98% Positive feedback

Seller information
alpenglow007 (253 )
98% Positive feedback

I'm really happy with them. All 5 of them are really colorful and active.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seller information
alpenglow007 (253 )
98% Positive feedback

Thank you!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts