The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says in my 55g i tore out all my plants that had holes in the leaves or algea on them. Thus removeing about 50percent of all the plants. Anyway the next moring all my Narrow Leaf Giant Hygro (Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis') had more holes in them. i want to know who is causeing the holes so i can ask them to stop :icon_lol: Anyway the tank has 4 angels, lots of neons, 1 clown loch, 2 cories, 1 peacock eel, 1 rainbow shark, and some mts. Any idea on who the culperate is. I never see any of them in the day time messing with the plants witch is funny cause i have lots of vals and a moss wall that i would think would be more tempting to chew on then the Hygro.
Thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
55g
ei dosing macros and micros 3x daily
injected co2
2x55w ah supply light on for 8 hrs.

Going to be upgrading to another ah supply light probobly the 1x96w

·
Registered
198 Posts
I highly doubt it is the loaches, The do not eat plant material, but that shark does and if attempting to get at algae on the leaves it might be eating right through the leaves also. He is most active at night just before dawn, so try getting up before he does and be by the tank with no light on above but some window light in another room (just enough for you to see by) then wait. chances are you'll see the culprit gnawing at the leaves. Those holes in the pics have shapes like the leaves are being eaten by something going for the little areas of algae on the leaves. I have witnessed these sharks before and they do have an affinity for algae just before dawn.

Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
174 Posts
I highly doubt it is the loaches, The do not eat plant material
Loaches are known for putting holes in plants wether or not they actually eat the plant material. I actually saw my loach doing it with my own eyes and ended up removing it from my tank. You kinda hear this "clicking" sound as they suck or bite into the plant leaving a "V" or triangular shaped hole in the plant similar to the pictures above. Especially the second picture.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Ha, yeah, it's the loach... If you get the one friends it would still do that...maybe... You wouldn't have room for more clown loaches.. They grow pretty big (over a foot).

And I totally disagree with the comment that loaches don't eat plant material.. Throw in a slice of cucumber and see what happens. I'm putting up $50 for the bet. Maybe if you give him plant material to nibble on, he wouldn't kill your plants.

I have B. Histrionica.. They made holes in my h. polysperma for the first month but gave it up.. They'll get bored with punching holes too. And your plant is a hygrophilia too right? Seems like they have a taste for it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I dunno. If I had to guess it looks like the largest leaves are the ones that are getting it. I had this happen in a 10 gallon tank with a java fern. Seemed like once the large leaves started to die holes developed. Also, that plant seems to be the only one that has had the holes. If my anubias are exposed to too much light they will develop holes as well.

However it does looks like there is tearing and not slow deterioration.

I dunno.

-Ryan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok im confused its the loches, its the shark, its my dosing, what the answer.
Watch the tank during the night hours to see who the culprit is for SURE.

As I have never seen Clown Loaches eat veggies I can't attest that they do, but I have seen sharks eat plant leaves so that's where I am gambling, of course, things much stranger have happened.

Oh and BTW clown loaches are omnivorous they CAN eat algae and plants but that is not there preferred food types(put in a few tubifex worms and watch the mayhem..) because their teeth are just not built like algae scraping fishes such as catfhes/sucker types... Any fish CAN eat anything put before them and most will if hungry enough try anything you put into the tank. They simply will spit it out after a few gratings with the chompers...

Another method to find out without watching is to remove one or the other shark or loach to another tank then see if the damages keep going on. process of elimination works really well with only 2 fish and ph to sort out...:icon_wink

Doug

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.