The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Visited the ADA store in San Francisco last week and couldnt stop my self from buying a new tank, dwarf baby tears and some Seiryu Stone. Just recently set up my 5.5 gallon tank with 16 inch Finnex Ray2 LED. I heard great things about aquasoil so i thought i would give it a shot.
Let me know what you guys think. I will update pictures soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I filled the tank up with water. Am I doing something wrong for dwarf baby tears? They seem like they are slowing dying. I have another 5.5 gallon tank with dwarf baby tears and don't have the same problem.

Also I also find the rock on the far right a little off. How can I fix it to make it seem more natural/balance? Do I need another small rock?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I filled the tank up with water. Am I doing something wrong for dwarf baby tears? They seem like they are slowing dying. I have another 5.5 gallon tank with dwarf baby tears and don't have the same problem.

Also I also find the rock on the far right a little off. How can I fix it to make it seem more natural/balance? Do I need another small rock?
The H.C. looks like it was emersed grown so you'll have die off as it adjusts to the new submersed growth. Are you running CO2? HC does not tend to do very well without it, especially when it is transitioning to submersed growth.

You also need a fifth rock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How long did it take for your HC to turn around and did you notice a difference from the DIY CO2 to the paintball setup?

Nice setup!

Rob

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed my baby tears turned around right about the 3-4 week mark. I believe it took awhile for the baby tears to settle in and root. I was worried at first, but I just hoped for the best. If i could do it again I would want to try the dry start method.
And as for paintball co2, I couldn't really notice big differences in plant growth but I did noticed they pearl more. Idk if pearling means faster growth but I don't regret buying the paintball setup. They pearl like crazy! I noticed I don't have algea growing on my rocks like I had on previous tanks so I'm definatly glad the paintball setup is working.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wow. Great tank. The stones look weird all slanted at the same angle. That's pretty awesome you guys have an Ada store local. That would be very dangerous in the wallet for me

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt have any issues of getting the hc to root in the aquasoil. Before i planted the HC i added just enough water to get the soil wet then just put the plant in and filled the tank with water veryyyyyy slowly. I didnt touch it for about a month so they could root in well. This is my first attempt of iwagumi so i still have much to learn >.< im confused on how the rocks are suppose to be positioned. One side i hear the rocks need to be pointed in same direction because thats how they look in nature with the flow of water. Then on the other side i hear they need to be pointed against each other.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hardscape

Iwagumi,

From what I have read the second rock needs to accentuate
or be a sister to the big rock. I would reverse a couple rocks.
Take the top first picture and place the small round rock on the
right lower corner where the pointed rock is. Then put the pointed
rock where the small round one was. Turn it around until you
like the position. You want to put it in 1 2 3 descending order.
Tall- middle- small.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 53 Posts