1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Tank specs? nice tank

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
thats looks great. are you still running 2 haildes on it or just one? i can see the color from the one in the middle but thats all i see. could it be just one since all the plants are in the center mainly

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats looks great. are you still running 2 haildes on it or just one? i can see the color from the one in the middle but thats all i see. could it be just one since all the plants are in the center mainly
Well, for this shot, I had the two reg. MHs on the sides, additional 150w MH on top and two flashes to fill. :) So it's not the typical lighting. I am still using 2x JBJ vipers, but I hate them, and will eventually change to a 4- or 5 foot fixture with 2 or 3 MHs.

The tank is 180g glass tank, with a side trapezoid overflow, 2" drain pipes, outtakes in the middle of the water columns, a 40g DIY wet-dry. The substrate is 3M Colorquartz, and black lava rock. All the plants are attached to the rocks or to the woods, at least temporarily.

There are 6 Geophagus Altifrons, 2 big males and 4 growouts, plus about 2 dozen Columbian Tetras, and a bunch of corydora and dianema catfish, and a few bristlenoses.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks beatuful! Love the driftwood pieces you have there!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Ed....that thin leaf java fern is sexy sexy! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
is that live rock i see in the middle? Also on the back right are they cichlids which go by the common name known as "Earth Eaters"? Awesome tank by the way very inspirational.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is that live rock i see in the middle? Also on the back right are they cichlids which go by the common name known as "Earth Eaters"? Awesome tank by the way very inspirational.
The rocks are Black Lava Rock. I gotta keep the plants in the rocks because Geos (the big fish below) sift sand for a living :) so the plants would be all floating if not for the rocks.

The fish you see in the corner are juvenile Geophagus Altifrons, a wildcaught fish from South America. They are part of the Cichlid group , collectively called Eartheaters. I have a colony of 2 adult males and 4 unsexed juveniles. Here are some pics:
The wood is Manzanita. I have some of that stuff for sale, about $25 per 4 foot branch. Local only, no shipping.

Here are some pics from different times of the tank:

Adult Geo:

2 big boys together:

Juvies:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seen much growth on those blue colombian tetras?
Oh, yeah, they went from 1" babies when I got 'em to about 3" fish now, they are huge. Get fed really well when the geos are fed.

Impressive Paradise. What type of sand is that?
The sand in front is 3 M Colorquartz Buff color S-grade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts