The Planted Tank Forum banner

UPDATE: 11/5/11 - First Big Tank - Need help with layout one more time!

2501 22
UPDATE: 11/5/11
Alright guys, I have taken your opinions best I could and put together some new ideas. I really do appreciate the help you have previously provided as it helped me get a better eye for proportioning the layout and not making it too messy or crowded. I narrowed it down to 4 pieces of wood to use to make it easier on my decision making. I have a ton of rocks, plus access to more, so I will put those in at a later date.

So, one last time, if you don't mind posting your opinion on which layout looks the cleanest or best, etc., I would appreciate it. I'll have a variety of good beginning plants and I'm confident that they will work in any of these setups, so I don't really have a concern as to where I will put the plants.

Thanks guys for your opinions!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My preference is 3A, but I would push all of it together, as is, over to the right hand side/corner, to free up some swimmimg space and low plant decorative possibilities on the entire left side.
Great idea. I'll put it together like that and see how it looks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In regards to your rocks.. I would definitely make a small investment in some more natural looking stone. The more rigid the rocks, the better (e.g. Seiryu, yamaya stone). In using such rocks, you are able to exhibit a much larger image with something much smaller in reality -- like a mountain scaled down into a small aquarium.

Based on the wood you currently have, I would use them only laying down, possibly in an image of a fallen tree. They seem a bit too thick and cylindrical to use standing up. Maybe try the wood in to the left in 5A with the piece presented tallest in 4B situated in the corner of the tank, coming into the foreground area. You could the use stems to cover the back area, and maybe tie a type of moss to parts of the wood.

It's kind of difficult to explain this in words. Hopefully this serves as another alternative if you need a last resort. GOod luck with your tank. I'll continue to follow the thread.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Since I am slammed with work from both my jobs and a test in school this week, I won't move things around til about Sunday again. So for those following I'll probably put up new pictures on Sunday based on your suggestions. I plan on having the substrate in there as well. We shall see.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think it would look really nice with a combination of the reddish colored rocks on the right (maybe minus the big smooth polished ones), paired with some combination of the darker woods you have. For instance, 4A would be nice as it follows all the aquascaping rules as far as I can tell. Then just strategically place the redder rocks as accents, maybe use some to define a rise or drop in elevation from another part of the tank (perhaps the back?). Lots of red accent plants would REALLY stand out in there and would look awesome, IMO:) Should be nice, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it would look really nice with a combination of the reddish colored rocks on the right (maybe minus the big smooth polished ones), paired with some combination of the darker woods you have. For instance, 4A would be nice as it follows all the aquascaping rules as far as I can tell. Then just strategically place the redder rocks as accents, maybe use some to define a rise or drop in elevation from another part of the tank (perhaps the back?). Lots of red accent plants would REALLY stand out in there and would look awesome, IMO:) Should be nice, and keep us posted.
Good Eye! I'll have to set it up like that when I get my substrate in this weekend!

I do plan on putting a. reineckii, tiger lotus, and some ludwigia in there, so I'm glad you mentioned how good red plants may look.

I appreciate your opinion.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I really like 4C.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.