The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to the planted tank hobby, not to fish tanks ect. Currently battling a alge issue and would appreciate some advice on how to deal with it.

General setup:
90g
Twin aquaclear 110 filters
Fluval plant 3.0 light
3-4 bubble counts on my co2

What type of alge is this, and what steps could I try to correct it?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally I was using seachem flourish. But that seemed to promote alge growth on the glass ect. I was dosing excel, but stopped cause it seemed to not really do much.
I have some plant tabs in the soil.

Other than that, weekly water changes and the co2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would lower the intensity of the light to half and go from there. Can adjust duration of lights as well but one thing at a time. Just have to find the right balance. I had the same issue and added lots of floating plants and reduced both intensity and duration of my lights till it isn't an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi

Quite often I read on this forum about plant nutrients as the least important part of planted aquariums. Others know that no amount of light, CO2 or water changes can help without it.

Algae can be inhibited by healthy growing plants. In order to do that they need proper conditions. From your descriptions they don’t have all of the necessary nutrients. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive has only iron and very little other micronutrients, and Excel doesn’t have any nutrients. What you need is to supply macro and micro nutrients. You can read about it here and here, and then decide if you want to use plant nutrients from fish store or mix your own from dry minerals. Then the light and CO2 can be fine-tuned to balance your setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts