The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the third time I have seen this in my tank. I have absolutely no idea what it is. Haven't found anything on a google image search that resembles it.

It's not a worm. It only seems to happen after I remove a piece of dw then place it back in the tank. It flows off of a single small spot on the dw then floats around the tank. 20 min later it's as if it never happened. There are 2 angelfish and a large school of corydora in the tank.

It stretches as it's comes off of the dw.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
It flows? I've seen lots of fungus stuff on wood before and usually any rasper or invert makes short work of it but this sounds a little different. What kind of time frame are you seeing from when it starts from that single spot to being released into the water column? Does it all release from the wood, "like it never happened"? That 3rd picture is tiny pieces of the white stuff right, not bubbles or something?

Not saying "I" have an answer but when I saw the unusual white stuff on wood title I figured yeah just normal wood fungus but this does sound different so I just wanted to get some more info for everyone's sake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not bubbles. Yeah it's weird. I've had fungus on driftwood but nothing like this. It's always in motion, flowing a little on the driftwood before it comes off. And by moving I don't mean wiggling like if it was alive, like a worm. What I mean is it is very stretchy.

The whole event lasts maybe 10 minutes and goes like this. I notice it. It's flowing an inch or two on the driftwood. It's slowly drifting off of the driftwood with the current. As it comes off it stretches becoming thread like. Hundreds and hundreds of little dots and short thread like pieces the width of human hair(maybe even thinner). These thread like pieces are maybe 1/4 in long. It drifts around the tank then disappears completely, nothing on the wood/water.

In the first two pics I posted...every piece of it you see on the wood is moving. The first time I saw this it took me a bit to realize that it wasn't something alive like a worm.

This is the 3rd time Ive seen this happen in a year. It seems to happen suddenly and is over with quickly.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
There are thousands of different little things that we don't know or have a name for in many cases. My guess it that there is something in the wood that some particular group of these little folks find is just right for growing. They grow as long as the food chain is there and quit when things change. It doesn't mean they are gone, just that we can't see them--until all the right things lie up again for them to grow. I've never seen any of them do any harm and I just let them run their course.
Like algae, they are there but we don't know it until they sprout up for us to see?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.