The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking, are there any plants that you never see in an aquarium that many do not know about? I am not talking about rare varigated plants that people know and pay a fortune for, but the really unusual plants that are beautiful, but no one really knows about them. I mean people know about Hygrophila Chai, sure, but I am not talking about an expensive plant per say, but what is a naturally occurring plant, not a hybird that people know? Maybe some weird plant in freshwater of Russia or Australia.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Just wanted to throw this comment in here because I don't think enough people have found the joys of aquatics in their own backyard. I found some native rushes (bog grass) a while ago when I was keeping ponds that were much more effective at drawing wildlife and giving the pond a "real" feeling. I just think if you're looking for something really unusual in this hobby looking at your local flora is a lot cheaper and can be incredibly rewarding. Make sure to check with local wildlife authorities to make sure you know what you can and can't take and report any invasives you find. This is probably not the type of post you were looking for, OP, so sorry for that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to throw this comment in here because I don't think enough people have found the joys of aquatics in their own backyard. I found some native rushes (bog grass) a while ago when I was keeping ponds that were much more effective at drawing wildlife and giving the pond a "real" feeling. I just think if you're looking for something really unusual in this hobby looking at your local flora is a lot cheaper and can be incredibly rewarding. Make sure to check with local wildlife authorities to make sure you know what you can and can't take and report any invasives you find. This is probably not the type of post you were looking for, OP, so sorry for that.
No sorry needed. That is a very interesting idea. It would be worth actually looking at what local species are around here whether or not I used any. I just was thinking with so many freshwater systems in the world (take Lake Baikal where there are supposed to be thousands of species), there are plants people never use in an aquarium either because they don't know about them or they can't get them at Buce or some other place. This occurred to me when I was looking at plants and did not realize several of them were similar and in some cases hybrids of each other.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good post! I was working on some irrigation on the bottom of the property when I noticed some native plants that are almost like the ones in my pond. I'm guessing they'll winter a bit better than the store bought ones....

Reactions: Plinkploop
1 - 4 of 4 Posts