The Planted Tank Forum banner

unusual aquarium dimension

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  BobLsaget 
#1 ·
I was looking at my local CL and i found a good deal, it was a 90 gallon with DAS filter and a stand for $80.... here is the catch... i thought it was a regular 90gal dimension in turns out different.... 48"L x 15 1/2"W x 31 1/2 "H
i am picking it up monday... I am gonna try some jungle vals with a low light set up, now what kind of fish do you think will be happy on that kind of dimension ;-) ??:icon_smil

#6 ·
Back in the day, those were some high end tanks/w tempered glass throughout.
But if it were one of those, it would have some age on it.
Not that I've ever gotten to see my daydream actually come to pass, but if I can't reach the bottom of a tank all the way to the back with my armpit on the top front rim
...it stays in the store.

#7 ·
I got a 75 Tall as my first 'real' tank ages ago. Still have it, but at 48 x 15 x 24, it is the biggest PITA to work in. And as such, it does not het much attention from me nowdays - got to use a stepstool to reach anything and I am not that short.

Angels or Discus. Mine got Blood Parrots.

v3

#8 ·
just to add, i am only 5'4" tall :) for $80 i am a bit tempted , anyone here expert on angels and discuss? can those two work on that kind of tank dimension?

I am not gonna turn the tank in to a heavily planted, im thinking of just anubias or java fern. :)

#9 ·
Check with the salt water guys about lighting, I've seen them use LED spotlights for their coral that are amazing. As for working on it when it's full, my tank is more than 2' deep and when I explained to my 12 year old granddaughter that we couldn't work on it after it was filled because the water was too deep, she thought about it for awhile and 10 minutes later she shows up with her diving mask and snorkel.

Problem is that she's serious :)

I would check out led spotlights though, I'm not sure if they'd work, but if they did they'd look cool piercing the water

#11 ·
Tall fish such as Angels OR Discus (not both) are well suited to a tank like that.

Even draining some water to work in the tank may not be enough. Set up the tank as low as you can, you will have your head and shoulders in the tank to reach the bottom.
Or invest in some looooooong handled tools!

#12 ·
Okay i went ahead and got the tank... ii cant resist the challenge ;-)

here it is

The back of tank is hazy because i peel off the background that the previous owner installed, ill just paint it black. The tank is in a immaculate condition, i think its an old tank because of the glass thinkness, The thing i dont like about it is the filtration system,its a DAS H29 (http://www.petstorefixtures.com/Filter_Descriptions.pdf )

I dont have any experience using this type of filtration. Maybe someone can tell me the good and the bad of this filter.

Ill post update on this :)

Thanks you :)

#14 ·
You sure it's a 90 and not an 80 extra high?

#16 ·
Very very close

48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4

#18 ·
Just for curiosity, where did you get that size, I looked at 10 websites and this is the closest I could see

110 Gallon Aquarium: 48″ x 18″ x 30″

I'm going to be downgraded to "Google Novice" now :icon_sad:

Either way it's a good looking tank and the challenge will be fun

#22 ·
We get these tall tank threads regularly it seems and yes it takes some extra effort to reach stuff, but why does it always seem to fall to me to point out the benefits of a tall tank? :icon_roll

I have my altums in a 30" tall tank and I love the height, both for them and for plants. Ever wanted to grow an amazon sword to its full glory? Or Crypt balansae? Jungle val? Aponogeton ulvaceous? These are glorious aquatic plants that can best be seen in a tank that is tall. Plenty of light reaches the substrate so the lighting objection is void in my book.

Nobody objects to the proportions of TV screens so when a tank approaches the same viewing area why not admit that it is near perfect for our eyes?

Okay so you need a stool and long tools and can best reach some parts only during a water change (this may be a bigger challenge for a 5'4" person than me at 5'10"). Everything is a trade off and the benefits of tall tanks are under-appreciated IMO. Maintenance is what it is; just take care of it.

This picture is not where I hope this tank to be as it matures, but the limnophila alone shows what height can do for you:

#23 ·
As a fellow 5'4" er, I think that was a nice score. My 24" deep 90gal is a challenge to reach the back bottom- I have a nice tall and sturdy stepstool and 13" tools that help though. :D

I was reading that link to try and figure out the filter system.

Is that black pillar in your picture the overflow piece that is supposed to go inside the tank?

It sounds to me like it should be a good system in terms of filtration, but if that black piece goes inside the tanks, I personally wouldn't want to lose all that floorspace to it. I'd probably go with dual canisters instead.

(and in case I haven't mentioned it recently- Tom, I adore your Altum tank!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.