The Planted Tank Forum banner

unusual aquarium dimension

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  BobLsaget 
#1 ·
I was looking at my local CL and i found a good deal, it was a 90 gallon with DAS filter and a stand for $80.... here is the catch... i thought it was a regular 90gal dimension in turns out different.... 48"L x 15 1/2"W x 31 1/2 "H
i am picking it up monday... I am gonna try some jungle vals with a low light set up, now what kind of fish do you think will be happy on that kind of dimension ;-) ??:icon_smil

Discussion starter · #5 ·
The glass is think and the tank is super heavy and its made by oceanic, haven't paid it yet, i went to the owners house looked at the tank, i told him ill think about it:)

Discussion starter · #8 ·
just to add, i am only 5'4" tall :) for $80 i am a bit tempted , anyone here expert on angels and discuss? can those two work on that kind of tank dimension?

I am not gonna turn the tank in to a heavily planted, im thinking of just anubias or java fern. :)

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Okay i went ahead and got the tank... ii cant resist the challenge ;-)

here it is

The back of tank is hazy because i peel off the background that the previous owner installed, ill just paint it black. The tank is in a immaculate condition, i think its an old tank because of the glass thinkness, The thing i dont like about it is the filtration system,its a DAS H29 (http://www.petstorefixtures.com/Filter_Descriptions.pdf )

I dont have any experience using this type of filtration. Maybe someone can tell me the good and the bad of this filter.

Ill post update on this :)

Thanks you :)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
As a fellow 5'4" er, I think that was a nice score. My 24" deep 90gal is a challenge to reach the back bottom- I have a nice tall and sturdy stepstool and 13" tools that help though. :D

I was reading that link to try and figure out the filter system.

Is that black pillar in your picture the overflow piece that is supposed to go inside the tank?

It sounds to me like it should be a good system in terms of filtration, but if that black piece goes inside the tanks, I personally wouldn't want to lose all that floorspace to it. I'd probably go with dual canisters instead.

(and in case I haven't mentioned it recently- Tom, I adore your Altum tank!)
Yes its a black box kinda like the overflow box but the tank is not drilled, i havent decided yet if i am going to use it its taking up space trying to figure out how it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.