The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on this one. My only Serprae Tetra from planted tank was scratching sometimes after fertilizers or water change so I believed it was the conditioner or ferts irritating the fish. In the early days the fish swam around more & was not picky about food & looked good. However the fish began to hang in the back more & not come out as much + it would make sudden quick flicks to the side like something was attacking it. I decided to treat with prazi thinking skin or gill flukes. So I medicated with prazi for a week 2 doses with what seemed to be some relief from the symptoms. But they come back & I read about the flashlight trick to find velvet & I believe I saw what looked liked golden scales or sheen on the gill area. I removed the fish to hospital tank treated with copper safe , now on day 5 the sheen is still on the fish. I keep the tank at 82 degrees. I am now second guessing my diagnoses. I use prime as a water conditioner + follow dry ferts regulations. Still not sure if the bright gold looking skin or scales are his natural color or velvet. The fish was NOT QT before entering the tank. I will never do that again. Any advice on the diagnose?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no other fish in the tank except snails & shrimp thats why I removed the fish to the hospital tank. The fish had another serprae tetra that died 2 days after I put them in. That was 3 months ago. Also there was 2 other fish that died in hours after being put into this tank. The store owner said they had a bad batch of fish , so I went back again thinking I was going to get the same ones as starter fish to cycle the tank. Turns out I looked at all the fish which were yellow dianios . They were scratching as well . So they lied & were going to sell them off to any one as well! So I did not buy them. I know fishless cycling , thats all I do now & will qt from now on. So if I have parasites they all should die in 20 days or so w/out fish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? ph? They do best in soft neutral to slightly acidic water. Could be your water. I'd be careful with water treatments until you're certain you're dealing with a parasite and what type it is. You definitely have to be careful at the pet stores and chains. They will sell you anything and then tell you it's your fault and sell you the remedy. Definitely
try a quarantine tank next time, trust no one neo...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I test my water all the time . NH3 0, NO2 0, Nitrate 5-10ppm, po4 .5ppm, ph 7.4- 6.7. Gh 7, Kh 4. Gh is a little high but my tap is 21gh. So I cut 15-20 tap 80% r/o with added trace & gh booster. Plants are growing well with co2. Water changes every week 40%. 2 CANISTER filters. The tank is balanced.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have noticed the fish scratch right after water changes thats why this becomes confusing. But days later the fish will do a big scratch up against the thermometer. Only once or twice a day. But then it does the quick jerky move like its trying to get away from something & the fact that sick fish were already in the tank I would lean towards parasites more then chemistry. All fish were not q. t. , parasites are possible. However I know fish can scratch from water conditioner as well. I have to use the stuff I have chlorine dioxide on tap. Its a high concentration, sometimes I think I am under dosing & the chlorine makes them scratch. Has anybody else had problems with prime as a conditiooner?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well your water sounds good, ph is a bit higher than your tetra would like as they prefer acidic water(6.8) and yours is alkaline. Most fish are usually pretty hardy with ph ranges though. I'm not sure my friend, hopefully someone with tetras and/or the same problem once will reply to your thread. Best of luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks EL CASPAR. My water swings like anybody else that runs co2 without a controller. It rises up in the morning do mostly to a little surface agitation that is needed , then it swings down when the co2 is on. It usually stays below 7.0 sometimes 6.6 6.7 pending on the temperature & nutrients in the tank. Yes the tetras let you know if the water is good or not. I am still leaning towards parasites. If the fish dies or not nothing is going in that tank for at least 20-30 days. The shrimp, plants & snails are doing well so water quality may not be the issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could you maybe just have a bad batch of prime? Tons of people use it, including myself, and have never experienced such problems... possibly be internal parasites? Don't know why the fish would scratch but it's possible... they'll need to be treated differently... you'd need fenbendazole of levamisole to treat that, but i'd do some more research first. Maybe see if it's camallanus worms?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If its velvet & the tetra has had this problem for a while now they can migrate to the digestive system. I have metrodonzole on hand which is supposed to work for parasites inside the organism. I dosed the 10 gallon planted tank originally with that stuff. The LFS said it works on velvet also but I could not find any resources on the internet that says metro ( flagil ) works on velvet. Copper safe is supposed to work on all parasites, but I am not sure about gill flukes. My hands itch If I do not use gloves when testing ph , gh, NH3, NO2, from the copper in the hospital tank. Can you imagine what that poor little tetra is feeling!! Thats why I am second guessing my call on this. Well I am through day 5 of 10 & the fish does not look good but still eats & swims normally. I have No control over ph. Ph down is harsh & causes swings anyway. I started using vinegar as an experiment to have some control. I am hesitant to try flagil or fluvinal , sorry about spelling. Fluvinal is hard to get & how would it react with copper safe? Biologically the 2.5 is sound because I pulled a small internal filter from my unoccupied 10 gallon Q.T. tank. Unless anybody has further input it looks like I need to stay with current meds do a water change & see how the fish looks. Meanwhile the 10 gallon planted tank will kill off any additional parasites left since no fish remain.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention the Prime water conditioner that I use. It could be a bad batch but seems good and I will tell you why. My last water change, which was 2.5 gallons I used about 4 or 5 drops. Keep in mind I use 80% r/o water pre conditioned with trace & Gh booster+ enough baking soda to bring the Kh to 4. The 20 % remaining has a lot of chlorine dioxide! I mix the 2 together overnight + oxygenate it & mix it around well. The last time I did this & by the way I mix it the same way all the time, the fish turned its head , ya I know what your going to do, you bet ya , right over to the temp. wire & smack , swipes it really fast. I said to myself maybe fluctuating chlorine & not enough Prime. I dosed 2 or 3 more drops & he seemed to calm down a little so I added 3 more drops & he stopped scrapping on things and behaved normally. Problem solved right, sorta. Days later after hanging back or not swimming much he would make sudden fast twitches like something was attacking him. This has been going on for a long time so I figured it was long over do to test the parasite theory out. Its a shame because I beat down the BGA finally & the tank is crystal clear & plants are growing well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.