The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to set up a 10 gallon planted tank (my first), and I am interested in growing the following plants:

Bacopa
Dwarf Hair Grass
Dwarf Sagittaria
Java Moss
Moneywort
Pennywort

My current plan is to have either MTS substrate with an inert cap or inert black sand/gravel with root tabs. I might try to do DIY CO2 for this tank as well. I plan to have 2 10W CFL bulbs in the tank's stock hood for lighting.

Under these circumstances, what would be the best (simple is preferable) way for a beginner like me to fertilize this setup effectively? Are the root tabs with the inert substrate necessary if I also do water column dosing? I really have no idea what to do here, so any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You should have low medium light with 10 watt CFL bulbs, mounted a few inches apart, and sitting right on top of the tank. You could use the fertilizing method discussed in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html but dosing about half or less of what the table shows, and dosing only once a week. If you also dose Flourish Excel, 2 ml dosages, every day, that will help the plants grow faster and healthier. DIY CO2 can be fun, and it will also help the plants, but if you don't also dose Excel, you are very likely to get BBA growths caused by the fluctuating level of CO2 in the water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts