The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is information from my 40G breeder in my signature for references to percentage of water changed.
I have been monitoring my water parameters as follows:
All fert. and water changes were done after testing that day.

----------Kh Gh Ph TDS
Oct. 1 :---60 60 7.0 99 ------------- Added 4 gallons RO changed 5 gallons RO
Oct. 3 :-------------83
Oct. 6 :---------------------------------- 1/4 tsp MKP and Trace
Oct. 8 :---60 60 6.8 91 ------------- 15 gallon RO water change
Oct. 9 : ------------79
Oct. 13 :--50 60 7.0 83---------------- 1/4 tsp MKP and Trace
Oct. 15 :--40 60 7.2 82 ---------------10 gallon RO water change

Is this unstable? I noticed as my Kh dropped my Ph rose. I have read that a low Kh can result in Ph drops but this is a Ph rise? Should I be concerned about this much fluctuation in Ph and/or Kh? Is this normal?:icon_ques:icon_ques

·
Registered
689 Posts
Pretty sure there is a direct link between Kh and Ph... read here and to assume that the parameters will be exactly the same during every measurement is unrealistic to begin with. The miniature ecosystem in your tank is contantly fluctuating as nature does. You have to understand that your measurement is nothing more than a snapshot in time and could possibly not even be an accurate depiction of your tank 5 minutes later.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you using RO water instead of tap water?
My tap water has a TDS of around 2000ppm depending on conditions, I have well water. I find its easier on my equipment and controling algae if I have soft water. I also have German Blue Rams and like to keep my options open with other south american apisto. species.

I do add tap water when I clean my filters I refill them with tap. So thats usually around a gallon or 2 once or twice a month (i have 2 filters i alternate the cleaning on them sometimes I get them both in one month, at different times).

sorry for not mentioning but this is my 40g bedside breeder tank i am speaking of so when you have a perspective of what percentage of water is being changed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.