The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the fluval nano 20gal co2 kit in my 3 gallon aquarium. I upgraded it with a ceramic diffuser and a bubble counter. In the morning I set the bubble count to 37 bubbles per minute, when I just checked it it's now at 11 bpm and I haven't touched the valve. Any idea how to correct this problem?
Thanks -Heidi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
wavering injections rates are usually due subpar needle valves. I have no personal experience with the kit you're referencing; but chances are its just not sensitive enough to hold steady.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn that's what I was afraid of . Perhaps turning the bubble count up higher might help? Any idea? Or do you know of any nano systems for a 3 gallon size that might work better?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Darn that's what I was afraid of . Perhaps turning the bubble count up higher might help? Any idea? Or do you know of any nano systems for a 3 gallon size that might work better?

turning the bubble count higher is not likely to help and could result in gassing your fish. I dont know of anything specifically for a nano tank. If it were me I'd ignore the fact that its a nano and get a real regulator with something like a 5 lb tank and just inject slowly.

Reactions: Autumncrossing

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I'm using the fluval nano 20gal co2 kit in my 3 gallon aquarium. I upgraded it with a ceramic diffuser and a bubble counter. In the morning I set the bubble count to 37 bubbles per minute, when I just checked it it's now at 11 bpm and I haven't touched the valve. Any idea how to correct this problem?
Thanks -Heidi
Hi Heidi,

Is this the only time this has happened or is this a consistent problem?

The reason I ask is if it is a consistent problem it is likely the needle valve as lksdrinker has suggested. However, if this is the first time it has happened the pressure in the cylinder may be dropping because the cylinder is almost empty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Heidi,

Is this the only time this has happened or is this a consistent problem?

The reason I ask is if it is a consistent problem it is likely the needle valve as lksdrinker has suggested. However, if this is the first time it has happened the pressure in the cylinder may be dropping because the cylinder is almost empty.

Sadly it's consistent , I thought that too and put on a fresh tank and it did the same thing. I think because it's such a tiny co2 cartridge it just doesn't have a consistent pressure.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Sadly it's consistent , I thought that too and put on a fresh tank and it did the same thing. I think because it's such a tiny co2 cartridge it just doesn't have a consistent pressure.
Hi Heidi,

It really shouldn't anything to do with the tiny size of the cartridge, especially if the cartridge is 'full'. I would suspect lksdrinker was correct with his suggestion that it is the needle valve.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Heidi,

It really shouldn't anything to do with the tiny size of the cartridge, especially if the cartridge is 'full'. I would suspect lksdrinker was correct with his suggestion that it is the needle valve.

Huh, I wonder if it's defective then? Or do they make all of them like this? Pretty poor product if it's the latter! I apologize for the beginner questions, this is my first time setting up CO2 so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Heidi,

It may be defective, or it just may be an inexpensive, not real accurate, needle valve; you can certainly try to return it. A "good" needle valve typically costs $40-$50, the ones I purchased ran about $70 six years ago but they are rock steady and hold the bubble count stable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Heidi,

It may be defective, or it just may be an inexpensive, not real accurate, needle valve; you can certainly try to return it. A "good" needle valve typically costs $40-$50, the ones I purchased ran about $70 six years ago but they are rock steady and hold the bubble count stable.

Thank you for the detailed explanations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.